Epiphone SG worth it?

NinjaModder

• Members

There is a nice Epi SG that caught my eye on craigslist.

Standard red SG with a bigsby type trem on it that says EPIPHONE on it.

I have no clue why but it just looks beautiful.

I have been wanting to get a Gibson SG or something of the sorts for a while and for the price of 250 or so, I was wondering if it is worth it to buy? I already have an Epiphone and I am about to buy an Epiphone acoustic. Will this sound any different than my dot to justify the purchase? For the price it seems like a steal. But then again... I don't want to accumulate a bunch of sub par guitars.

If I would buy it, how would it sound next to a gibson? What if I threw in some new pickups?

Its a 90s epiphone if that helps.

• Members

2 big differences between the Epi and the Gibson: neck profile and setup. The necks are completely different. I love the Epi slim taper neck, but not everybody does. It's very, very shallow and a lot of players just hate it, so make sure you can get along w/ the neck first. As for setup, the Gibby will probably be fairly 'plug and play' right out of the box, but the Epiphone is gonna need some tweaking/modding before it's really ready for prime time. In the case of my Epiphone SG-400; it took a few tries to get the truss rod just right, then a Graphtec nut to replace the crappy plastic OEM piece, Scotchbrite on the back of the neck to keep the sticky poly finish from grabbing, and setting the intonation. Most recently I swapped in Gibson Burstbuckers but that was more because I happened to get a fantastic deal on a set than because the stock p'ups were so awful. Lotta guys will replace the electronics too, but so far I haven't.

So, if you like the neck, and if you don't mind tinkering w/ it you can save a bundle w/ the Epiphone.

• Members

I like G-400's a lot. That's pretty cool that it has an Epi trem on it also, it must be some sort of special edition model. Being a 90's model is a plus (in my opinion) because it will be MIK as opposed to MIC. I like the the MIK better in terms of overall quality, but I must say most MIC pickups are better sounding.

Also, I've found older Epi's neck carves to be all over the place. Some are flat and thin, some more rounded. I think neck wise you will have to get it in your hands to have an idea of it's size.

If it's in nice shape with a neck size you like, with the added trem, I'd have a hard time saying no for $250.

• Members

i have an Epiphone G-400 Deluxe that plays, and is put together, much better than 2 Gibsons i tried. I am replacing the pickups because i find them a little dull, but i say, and this is just from my limited experience, that my Epiphone is not just better value but better full stop than it's Gibson counterparts (a Special and a Standard). I would highly recommend it

• Members

2 big differences between the Epi and the Gibson: neck profile and setup. The necks are completely different. I love the Epi slim taper neck, but not everybody does. It's very, very shallow and a lot of players just hate it, so make sure you can get along w/ the neck first. As for setup, the Gibby will probably be fairly 'plug and play' right out of the box, but the Epiphone is gonna need some tweaking/modding before it's really ready for prime time. In the case of my Epiphone SG-400; it took a few tries to get the truss rod just right, then a Graphtec nut to replace the crappy plastic OEM piece, Scotchbrite on the back of the neck to keep the sticky poly finish from grabbing, and setting the intonation. Most recently I swapped in Gibson Burstbuckers but that was more because I happened to get a fantastic deal on a set than because the stock p'ups were so awful. Lotta guys will replace the electronics too, but so far I haven't.

So, if you like the neck, and if you don't mind tinkering w/ it you can save a bundle w/ the Epiphone.

My Epi actually has a big fat neck. They may vary?

• Members

$250 for a 90's Epi SG is a nice deal.

Pickups? Look for Gibson P-94's. I got one in the neck for a really good price. Great pickups imo.

How ya like that there P-94? I was actually planning on putting something single coil in my SG, but I wound up finding a deal on Burstbuckers that I just couldn't pass on, so that's what's in there now. (But I could always put those in my Epi LP if I found some single coils for the SG, right?)

• Members

I always had the "I'm not gonna waste my time" attitude with Epi's, especially SGs, that is until my friend brought his over and it blew my mind. It played so nice, it was as if someone had replaced the Gibson logo with the Epi logo.

But, that's only one Epi out of the whole butt ton of them out there. I will say that I've never found another Epi SG that could fill that one's boots.

• Members

I always had the "I'm not gonna waste my time" attitude with Epi's, especially SGs, that is until my friend brought his over and it blew my mind. It played so nice, it was as if someone had replaced the Gibson logo with the Epi logo.

But, that's only one Epi out of the whole butt ton of them out there. I will say that I've never found another Epi SG that could fill that one's boots.

Might depend on where they're made. The Korean ones are good, the Japanese ones are great, and the jury is still out on the Chinese models. For the first two years the Chinese units were, well, a little iffy. They've improved a lot since and currently they seem pretty solid. I haven't looked at them recently but they should be at or approaching at least the Korea-era product. If you can get the serial # it wouldn't take much research to find out where your unit was made.

• Members

One more thing to consider. Maybe you buy it and never look back - but SG's don't seem to keep there re-sale value. I don't know why- but I had trouble getting decent value when I tried to sell the Epi's. Of course, if you think "this is THE guitar" - go for it.

- w

• Members

One more thing to consider. Maybe you buy it and never look back - but SG's don't seem to keep there re-sale value. I don't know why- but I had trouble getting decent value when I tried to sell the Epi's. Of course, if you think "this is THE guitar" - go for it.

- w

I'm having the opposite problem. Don't know how much a new G400 with a Bigsby costs. I've been looking for G400 w/o one.

MF, Music 123, etc. everyday price is $350, $300 for a faded, before you call, and ask for 15-20% off.

My thinking they should be worth $150 -$175 used. They sell on Ebay for $250 plus another $35 shipping all the time.:freak:

Localy, there is almost never one for sale on Crags list.

Archived