So I took an Epi VJ... and built a monster.

sxyryan

• Members

I love my VJ Combo. Awesome practice amp. Takes pedals great, small size, nice and simple, sounds great at low volumes.

Cranked, the tone is pretty cool but a little flubby. So I ran it through my Egnater 112 cab. Sounded great! The past couple months I have been really obsessed with 410 combos.

I want to pick up a Peavey Classic 50, but I just can't afford it at the moment.

So I bought some 10 inch speakers from a forumite, and built this:

vj410.jpg

It's not done, I need to clean up some edges and things, but it's functional now. I'm going to pick up some cages for the speakers and probably put a port in the baffle somewhere. It's mostly closed back and I think it will help to bring out some more bass, although now it sounds great.

Think classic rock and great projection and that's the tone I'm getting from this. Punchy, but not ear bleeding stuff. It's pretty loud, plenty for rehearsals, and I always mic my amps for gigs so there is no problems there.

So the next step is to finish up the cab, maybe cover it in something, or at least paint it. Then I plan on modding the amp itself, a better transformer, maybe some of those Bitmo mods, I haven't decided yet.

• Members

^^^

That's the plan indeed. All I had for wood was a bunch of old sheets of T111 so it's pretty backwoods friendly, if you get my drift.

I'd love to cover it in tweed. I have never done anything like that before, so it would be a new experience. Might give it a go in the upcoming months though.

• Members

:thu:

VJ's make great modding platforms. I'm thinking of adding another preamp stage and TMB controls to mine. I want to see if I can voice it like a Dumble.

I want to add some kind of tone control. Just something to cut some treble out. It can sound kind of icepicky with some brighter guitars.

A touch more gain though, would be nice. I may try pedals for that though, some kind of boost. All I have now is my ME 50, which when used to overdrive an amp like that, just makes mud. But I'm thinking a tubescreamer or something along those lines to blow the amp over the edge would be pretty sweet, for solos and things.

• Members

Here is a quick clip. A couple clams but I really like how the tone came out. It's a little livelier in person, I only have the cheapest USB Mic there is.

It's to loud to crank in here right now, so its at about 1/3 volume, right were it starts to break up when you dig in. The I boosted it a touch with my ME50. A little reverb from an EHX Holy Grail and my lovely SG Classic, aided by an old Coricidan bottle. Backing track from guitarbackingtrack.com.

Sorry if I offend any Duane fans, or good slide players in general :facepalm:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8880674&q=hi&newref=1

• Members

Paint "Fragile" on it, beat it with a chain for a while then dump a gallon of tea over it.

That's cool. I wanna do a 2x10 for my little Vox. I like 10" speakers a lot. Great sound.

EG

That's a thought for sure, I may just do something like that... hmmm

• Members

If you are looking at modding the circuit of the VJ, I highly suggest checking out sewatt.com. Great guys over there! Helpful and knowledgeable! If you want a tone control, look into the tweed tone control in the FAQ at sewatt. It is a super easy mod. There is a document I can email to you that expains what each component does and the effect of changing it. There are definitely some easy mods that can increase gain.

PM me if you want the document and/or want to hear some of my experiences modding the VJ. Mine is a tone monster now.

• Members

Just get a good eq pedal to run through it to tame the tone.

If you wanted to get really silly, you could take a Dano fish and chips out of it's case, and "custom" install" it in your amp.

I'm a carpet installer, so my immediate thought is, cover it with carpet.

• Members

Here is a quick clip. A couple clams but I really like how the tone came out. It's a little livelier in person, I only have the cheapest USB Mic there is.

It's to loud to crank in here right now, so its at about 1/3 volume, right were it starts to break up when you dig in. The I boosted it a touch with my ME50. A little reverb from an EHX Holy Grail and my lovely SG Classic, aided by an old Coricidan bottle. Backing track from guitarbackingtrack.com.

Sorry if I offend any Duane fans, or good slide players in general
:facepalm:

no offence I am sure - sounds good!

• Members

And I thought my first cabinet build was ugly haha!

What kind of speakers did you use? Is that a stock VJ? Mine was waaaay too woofy and muffled sounding stock, so I changed where the roll-off was and bumped the gain up a bit.

• Members

Sorry if I offend any Duane fans, or good slide players in general
:facepalm:

This link only takes me to Soundclick's default page. Do you have a link to the song page and not to the player?

• Members

If you wanted to get really silly, you could take a Dano fish and chips out of it's case, and "custom" install" it in your amp.

I'm a carpet installer, so my immediate thought is, cover it with carpet.

There is plenty of room on the top there, I could do that, no problem.

I think I need a cup holder first though :poke:

I think I will cover it. It will probably be something cheap, just because this will be my first time trying anything like that. I'd love to cover the whole thing in tweed, but tweed isn't cheap and I'd hate to waste the money.

• Members

The only problem now is, I'm without my favorite practice amp. It still works for low volume stuff but I'm not lugging it up 3 flights of stairs to keep in my dorm.

Is this an excuse to buy one of those adorable little Vox amps? :poke:

• Members

I remember somebody posting those speakers in the great deals thread. Was it Ebay? I also remember thinking, wow, that's a great price, but what would I do with them. Apparently somebody bought them, and never did figure out what to do with them.

Congratulations for the :idea:

Archived