Need some help with string height and frett buzz.

ShotgunFacelift

• Members

I just bought a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe (really nice guitar btw). I adjusted the truss rod since there was very little relief. I put 10's on it and lowered the strings.

Now, as it is, there is just a little fret buzz on the low E, and only then if you strike it hard. I would like the action just a little lower, but that creates more buzz. The nut on it is a GraphTech tusq. Is there anyway to remedy this, or do I just run the risk of some fret buzz with low action?

• Members

How are the frets? Is it up and down the entire neck or just at a certain point (the buzz). It could be a bad fret or a poorly cut nut. This also depends on what you call low action.

PS... could this buzz be coming from the bridge/saddles?

• Members

Tusq is the nut material, it's the nut slots that make the difference. If the low E is cut too deep or incorrectly it can buzz. I've seen plenty of poorly cut nuts on brand new guitars. The first thing you need to do is to find the cause of the buzz. It could also be an issue with the saddle as well. I have also seen things like the very high frets slighly raised or not filed correctly. One thing you can try is to take a playing card and do a quick check on the frets. You use the playing card like a straight edge and slowly slide it down the fret tops and feel for dips or a raised fret.

Also what is your fret relief... you may have created a back bow

Archived