post pics of the ones that got away (guitars that is)

jr_vw2

• Members

the two that got away...

An Aria Pro II ZZ Deluxe - sold 20 years ago for something like $90 to the little brother of a girl I hoped would sleep with me... The guitar looked exactly like this one:

l_1825ca62188542c8b40798c7db2c1d29.jpg

Worst was my 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom I sold together with a massive collection of mint comics for a total of $500 to pay rent before the sherrif seized everything I had and the landlord made me homeless...

1998_Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom_'57_Reissue_

• Members

In 30+ years of playing, I have traded and sold off more gear than I can remember. I've had some stolen as well.

The only two things I really regret parting with are a '73 Tele (which I actually preferred to a '65 Tele I also owned) and a mid-80s Tokai P-bass.

• Members

Economy forced me to get rid of a couple, sadly the Gretsch just left about a week ago, I had hopes it was alway my keeper, a guitar I would pass along later to my daughters, But when times are tough we sometimes have to do not what we want but what we have to do.

DSC_2993.jpg The Tele went a year ago when things started to get tighter

DSC_2072.jpg

The Larrivee was an amazing guitar, it felt perfect in my hands, it was very well built, and the sounds were so true and clear, But at the time I wanted a less bright sounding guitar, and the OM body was very well rounded But I wanted the sounds of a deep voiced dread This was a time I could not afford to keep it and buy another, so sadly I sold it to buy another......Have kicked myself ever since. Guitars039b.jpg

• Members

:cry::facepalm:I dont have any pics, but I can give you all the list.:facepalm::cry:

Guitars:

-Hohner L75 Les Paul Copy w/Warmoth LPstyle neck,DiMarzio Tone Zone(bridge), DimMarzio PAF Pro(neck)

-1991 Gibson '67 Flying V in ebony

-Applause AE36 Acoustic/Electric

-PRS CE22MT in Orange(got discount cause it was considered a factory 2nd)

-Washburn XB800 4string w/EMG soapbars

-Warwick Corvette Std. 5tring

-B.C.Rich Bich "LA model" in Candy Purple(very rare)

-B.C.Rich Warlock 4string w/Schaller tuners

-Custom-made style Stratocaster w/DiMarzio Choppers, Wilkinson Convertable tremolo(locks when not in use)

-Dean "CFH" ML

-Ibanez JEM77BRMR "Bad Horsie"

-Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom in Camo Bullseye

-ESP Ltd. SC-607B

-Jackson Pro RR24

-Jackson Pro "Kevin Bond"

Amps:

-Peavey Rage 108 combo

-Peavey 5150 head(1st series)

-Marshall 8200 head

-Carvin Probass 500 head

-Peavey Delta Bass head w/ custom-made 1x15 cab with JBL 15"

-Carvin HT1000 power amp w/ Peavey 2x12/1x15 bass cab

-Fender Limited Emerald Hot Rod Deluxe

-Eden WT-400 w/ Eden 410XLT

FX & Misc. :

-Fostex X-18 4track cassette recorder(upgraded to the Yamaha AW1600)

-Alesis SR-16(upgraded to the SR-18)

-Yamaha E413 keyboard/workstation

-90's BBE 461 Sonic Maximizer rackmount 1 space

-90's A.R.T. FXR Stereo FX unit rackmount 1 space

-Jim Dunlop Univibe w/o foot controller

-Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer

-Morley PVW Pro Volume/Wah

-Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, CE-1 Chorus, PS-3 Digital Delay/Pitch Shifter, RV-2 Digital Delay/Reverb

I'm sure this thread was for guitars only, I just can feel you're all's pain.:cry::cry::cry:

• Members

I haven't lost any sleep over anything I've ever sold, though I wish I still had my first guitar. An 83 Japanese strat, cream with a black headstock. All the ones I see on eBay have the three mini toggles. Mine had a standard 5 way.

And I had an 85 Beretta that is probably worth quite a bit more than the $500 (I think) I got in trade towards a Soloist in 88 or so.

The Soloist and a Kramer Stagemaster are the only two guitars worth anything that I've sold and I got a pretty decent chunk for each of them and though I've been kind of jonesin for a Floyded guitar lately, I definitely want something close to a traditional strat with a Floyd so I still don't resent those selling two.

• Members

I have a pic, but it's not scanned... my tobacco burst `89 PRS CE Bolt-On. I'm about 100 miles away from PRS, and used to see used ones all the time in the late 80s. Found this one in 1993 for ... $450? Best sounding PRS I've ever heard, and I had four others - from 88 to 93. Sold it to a friend a few years later for a 80s Japanese Strat and a few hundred. 15 years later, he still has it.... and laughs at me when I tell him I want to buy it back. I figure I just need to a wait a few more years until his son needs braces or something, and offer him market value.

The other one was an `87 Ibanez RG450 with an Ibanez/Modulus carbon fiber neck. Sold that to a friend around the same time. Somewhere, there is a purple burst Ibanez with EMGs and a carbon fiber neck.... I did all the mods, and have been looking for it for 10 years. Ended up finding another neck last fall, and am nearly done building a similar one.

Out of 120+ guitars, these are the ones that I miss the most. There was also a `68 ES-345, but they're not rare. Just expensive.

• Members

My old Roland G-202 synth guitar.

I gigged with that guitar more than any of my other guitars weirdly enough:

G202_2.jpg

I traded it on a Charvel Model 4 and that guitar was a total lemon, the

electronics, the fretwork, the neck. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

To make the Charvel Model 4 playable, I put more money than it was

worth into it.

It eventually got traded on a Jackson USA Soloist which I still have.

Ironically, I added a Roland GK3 hex pickup to the Soloist.

• Members

My god I've gone through so many, and lots with no pics.

The ones I really regret are the following:

oldred.jpg

That's Big Red, the best strat ever. Just unbelieveable. I gave it to my best friend for his 29th birthday, though, since he always coveted it. I'm glad I did it, but I miss it quite a lot sometimes and I never see it anymore.

Hamer-Front.jpg

This was the best playing guitar I've ever had. God, what a guitar. I sold it one Christmas because I needed the cash for presents. I sold it to some dude whose son was learning to play, so I didn't feel super bad at the time, but... Gah.

Silverburst.jpg

Best looking guitar I ever had, and really an amazing playing SG... More amazing than they usually are. I traded it straight across for my MG. Three years later I'm not really sure who got the better deal there.

lpdlx.jpg

Great guitar, but I traded it straight across for a Historic R4 which is goddamned amazing. I miss the deluxe a bit, but the R4 is 100x the guitar.

• Members

My god I've gone through so many, and lots with no pics.

The ones I really regret are the following:

oldred.jpg

That's Big Red, the best strat ever. Just unbelieveable. I gave it to my best friend for his 29th birthday, though, since he always coveted it. I'm glad I did it, but I miss it quite a lot sometimes and I never see it anymore.

Hamer-Front.jpg

This was the best playing guitar I've ever had. God, what a guitar. I sold it one Christmas because I needed the cash for presents. I sold it to some dude whose son was learning to play, so I didn't feel super bad at the time, but... Gah.

Silverburst.jpg

Best looking guitar I ever had, and really an amazing playing SG... More amazing than they usually are. I traded it straight across for my MG. Three years later I'm not really sure who got the better deal there.

lpdlx.jpg

Great guitar, but I traded it straight across for a Historic R4 which is goddamned amazing. I miss the deluxe a bit, but the R4 is 100x the guitar.

Man, those are all kick ass guitars too. I'm sorry :sad:

• Members

Returned an Epi G-400 Faded to MF to get the Epi LP Studio I have now, probably to revel in the fact that I could have a Les Paul while its namesake was still alive, and partly because of the G-400 having bad mojo.

Would have had no doubts about it, except the G-400 in question had neck binding, a feature most G-400s lack. If anything I regret not choosing Vintage Sunburst on the LP.

• Members

I sometimes have regrets about letting this one go.

5v4roj.jpg

Especially at the time I traded it. The guitar I traded it for I wasn't particularly happy with, but the guitar I traded THAT guitar for is my favorite guitar ever. I don't really regret getting rid of it now as I'm happy with what I have. I certainly wouldn't trade my current guitar for it, but I do wish I could have it back.

• Members

Post-weekend bump.

Honey.jpg

An M-72 I used to have. It was my "universal backup" I kept at my prior church 24/7 for those Sundays I didn't wanna lug a second guitar from home, or just in case I managed to have problems with both of whatever I did bring.

I did gig her a few times, too.

Shamrock62002BKwM72Honey.jpg

Only sold her when I finally got a singlecut Les Paul. Plus the sound was very similar to my DeArmond Jet Star, which has the same Gold Tone pickups (and which I still have).

• Members

I don't have a pic, but several years ago I traded a Jackson RR1 custom painted by the custom shop for an Ibanez chrome boy JS (the 10 th anniversary).

The JS was really nothing special (at the time I also had a standard JS 1000, one of the early run with the "custom" inlay on the last fret, and actually I liked it much than the 10th), but the RR1 was one of the best guitar I've ever played.

Ironically I found the same guitar some years after in a shop (I am sure it was THE same, not a similar one) but it was wasted.

• Members

1998_Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom_'57_Reissue_
you are not the only one that let one of those get away.
:cry:

Yep, I am a dumbass!

I bought a beautiful black 1950's Les Paul Custom from a friend who was hurting for money. I paid $350 for it and called him back a year later to see if he wanted it back for $350. Of course he did and so off I went to buy the $700 B.C.Rich Mockingbird which had just been released....which I later traded for $100 worth of used PA gear :cry:

I am a dumbass (ok so maybe trading the B.C.Rich for the PA gear wins me back a few points but....)

• Members

Can't see much of it. My 1964 ES330. It never had one thing replaced. Got low on cash 10 years ago and let her go. Tried to buy it back for triple the $ but guy said no deal.

Its near perfect condition makes it quite pricey these days.

• Members

I've moved some that I don't really regret. The ones that I do miss are:

80's Kramer Pacer Special - my first quality guitar

65 Gibby 335 12-string - It wasn't a practical guitar, but it sounded so cool. Never did find a proper case that would fit it. I ended up selling it for more than I bought it for to fund buying my DW drum kit.

Laney ProTube Lead AOR100 in white Tolex. So 80's, so cool.

Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff - Not the crappy little one they sell today, but the 70's version. It was the best big muff I'd heard. Stolen.

• Members

Well, I don't have pics. But I still have one that got away.

It was my first guitar, a Silvertone Citation. I wanted it to look more like a Strat, so I got this cheap-ass plywood body and a new pickguard, and painted the body and fitted the neck to it. No pro finishing techniques, just paint onto the bare wood.

So it had the neck, electronics, and hardware of a cheap Chinese copy, and a {censored}ty plywood body I got from Wales in trade for a small ukulele.

And you know what? It was the best thing ever. I miss it so much.

• Members

There is only one out of all of the guitars I've sold or traded through the years, its not fancy, but it was just "right" - I traded it in an SG Classic thinking the P90s and SG would be my thing. Wasn't...

It's a Gibson Les Paul DC Special with P100s. I wish I still had her :cry:

red.jpg

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

Archived