Anybody ever quieted down their Tele like this?

Guest Guest

• Members

Not sure you'll need to waste your time if your installing hum canceling pickups though.

Every little helps, though, right? Hum-canceling pickups and effective shielding could be a solid combination for a completely noise-free guitar.

• Members

Every little helps, though, right? Hum-canceling pickups and effective shielding could be a solid combination for a completely noise-free guitar.

This is true. All I'm saying is he might want to consider installing the pups first and see if that is enough before wasting the time and money on sheilding.

If you do end up sheilding, the cheapest and best source for copper foil that I have found is Global Stained Glass.

• Members

Couldn't hurt to shield the control cavity, even if you have humbuckers. I've done it a few times and had good results. Personally, I prefer Stew Mac's self-adhesive stuff. It's like $14 for a giant roll, and beats the hell out of glue.

• Members

Couldn't hurt to shield the control cavity, even if you have humbuckers. I've done it a few times and had good results. Personally, I prefer Stew Mac's self-adhesive stuff. It's like $14 for a giant roll, and beats the hell out of glue.

I'm thinking of ordering some of that. I've got a bunch of stuff to get from them anyway for my project, so an extra

• Members

Money well spent. I've shielded 3 guitars with my roll of the wide stuff, and probably have enough for another 1.5.

It's definitely on my list, then. Doubtless I'll have other guitars in the future, so I think it would be a wise investment. Cheers buddy.

• Members

You can save alot of tume and troubble by taking the copper foil and wrapping the foil around the pickup wires and then grounding. You can also buy ground brading and run it over the existing wires. Its more effective than lining the entire cavity. The exception would be around the switch and pots.

The other way is to simply replace the single wires with some good insulated wire and make noisless pickups out of standard. If you have coil reversing then using stereo shielded wire will work. In either case you just need to be careful soldering new wires on the pickup eyelets where the coil wire comes in.

• Members

The other way is to simply replace the single wires with some good insulated wire and make noisless pickups out of standard.

No that's nonsense.

Adding ground plane to a control cavity WILL NOT AFFECT 60 cycle hum that is being reproduced by your pickups- Let me repeat that- It CANNOT affect the amount of 60 cycle noise your pickups "Hear"...

Grounding a cavity CAN reduce the amount of RF (Radio Frequency) interference that the loose wires in the cavity are picking up...sure there's a little bit of 60 cycle in that noise as well- but a tiny fraction compared to what the pickups are "hearing".

Single coil noise is NOT the result of a poor design or sloppy installation- Nothing's free- filter the noise- and you'll always lose a little bit of something else. Some pickups are very, very good at retaining the musical aspects while removing the nasty unwanted noise.

Jay

Archived