How are the pots/switches in (new - 09) MIM Fenders?

bsman

• Members

I've got a new set of pickups for my tele (Mojotone Custom Wound Vintage Clone '52 Tele Pickups, courtesy of A-20) and was contemplating installing them this weekend, but wonder if it's necessary to replace the pots, swtich, etc. or if that falls under the "nice, but not necessary" category. At some point in the future, I will probably change out the bridge, and perhaps the other hardware, but for now, I was interested in seeing what difference the pickups make by themselves, and I wanted to find out folks' opinions regarding what sorts of electronics Fender is putting in CURRENT MIMs...

• Members

I'm very happy (but not surprised) to hear this. I guess I would have discovered it when I removed the control strip, but it's nice to know going in. I have been very impressed with this guitar -- it's MUCH quieter than my late (and unlamented) '95 US tele and the frets and fingerboard are quite comfy to my hands. Also, I appreciate the subtly toned neck -- a welcome change from the "fishbelly white" of prior MIMs I have seen. I think that Fender has really stepped up the level of fit, finish, and hardware on the MIMs lately. I wanted to replace the pickups, not because the stock PUs are terrible, but to my ears they sound a little harsh and I wanted more of a vintage tone. I'll be sure to put up some clips 'n' pics when I'm finished.

Archived