Les Paul Jr. vs. Jazzmaster

triplover64

• Members

They are completely different animals. I am a big Junior fan - I just sort of discovered that it is the guitar for me (well one of them!). I have found Jazzmasters a bit too fiddly and not as distinctive sounding as either a strat or a tele - certainly less solid than the latter... I think there is probably a reason why Fender's two biggest guitars are more popular. But there will no doubt be jazzmaster owners getting their knickers in a twist by me saying that.

On the other hand, the Jr is a gruff little bastard, which can get an amazing range of tones for a one pickup guitar, and on most models, sounds great clean as well as overdriven (better clean to my ear than most humbuckered LPs)... and most importantly, resonates like mad - more than most PAF LPs I've played, I think because of the slightly different neck-body join and lack of a neck pickup cavity/extra magnetic pull. It's an absolute cracker if you can live with just one pickup.

• Members

Don't discount the Jazzmaster. It sounds, to me, like a fat Strat - its bridge pickup is meaty and entirely useable, unlike a lot of Strat pickups (to my ears). Same for the neck - like a strat, but meatier, fuller. It won't do metal, but it'll do high gain, just ask J. mascis.

Archived