Ibanez Refinish Thread!!!

guitarheo3

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
are you using poly or lacquer?

lacquer. its some deft wood finish. it's the best stuff i've used so far on a guitar.

so the problem i always end up with is the "orange peel" effect.. how do i get rid of this? i don't have it before i wet sand.. but as soon as i do i get it again :facepalm: help?

• Members
lacquer. its some deft wood finish. it's the best stuff i've used so far on a guitar.

so the problem i always end up with is the "orange peel" effect.. how do i get rid of this? i don't have it before i wet sand.. but as soon as i do i get it again
:facepalm:
help?

i've worked with deft before, i'm not really a fan because it stays wet for too long, but i know some people love it... i made the switch over to watco (its cheaper and cures faster and yellows over time to age properly)...

orange peel is just from putting either too wet of a coat on, or from putting a new coat over a coat that hasn't fully dried yet.

if you just sprayed it you probably shouldn't be wet sanding it yet... it usually takes a month to cure. so i wouldn't touch it for at least 3-4 weeks, just from holding it, you can leave finger prints behind in the finish. (even if it feels dry)... usually 2 cans will be enough for an entire body... after its cured for a month then start wet sanding with 800 and work your way up to 2000, get it flat with the 800 and work your way up, you'll see the orange peel fade away and hopefully you wont get any sand thrus... WHICH REMINDS ME! stay away from the edges while wet sanding til you get to the finger grits, 1200 +... the edges are easy to sand thru.

good luck man! don't rush yourself, take your time with it!

• Members

right! the cool thing about using a nitro lacquer is that when you spray a new coat on, it automatically melts into the previous coats, so no need to sand between coats. next time you spray it, if you're gonna put more coats on, just do a mist spray (to soften the previous layer) and then follow that up with a heavier coat.

and the orange peel thats showing up was there before you started sanding, but if you have enough coats on you should be able to level it out without sanding through to your finish. its just from the finish drying before it had time to level out (the benefit of spraying in the cold wisconsin winters, almost no orange peel to deal with :)

you'll get a hang of it though... trust me, the HARDEST part of the process is the waiting. lacquer shrinks over time is it 'gasses off'(which is why you wanna wait that 3-4 weeks... the longer you wait the better... you could wet sand that thing days after it dries and get it looking shiney and new BUT its gonna shrink on you and in a few days its not going to be shiney and new anymore. so you'd have to do it again (which removes more lacquer making the chances of sanding thru your color coat a lot more likely)... so yea, its basically just a waiting game.

i always end up starting new projects while my guitars are curing... i have two guitars hanging in my basement right now, ones about a week away from wet sanding, the other is still about a full month... so i think i'm gonna start work on another tele body i have sitting around... if you keep yourself busy the time goes by fast. good luck man.

www.reranch.com has a lot of great information... everything i've learned has been from either books or this website, they have a forum too thats great for asking questions. but i'll warn ya... you'll get hooked on refinishing if it turns out nice :)

• Members

Here's a couple shots. This is just in the spray bomb clear. Got it in my heated paint booth (big box w/a space heater ported into it from the side) so maybe I can wet sand it tomorrow. Mon, it's going in the paint booth at work for a couple coats of urethane. The sides and back are a dark metallic maroon. Can't decide on chrome or gold hardware. Prolly chrome.

BTW...I feel like I'm hijacking your thread but you asked for pics....

• Members

Wow! Awesome work guys. That Schecter is looking sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Guitarheo3 - I remember that Goldtop. You've come a long way since then. Really great work you're doing now.

Wish I had the patience and skills to attempt some of this stuff. You gents make it look so easy.

:thu:

• Members
Wow! Awesome work guys. That Schecter is looking sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Guitarheo3 - I remember that Goldtop. You've come a long way since then. Really great work you're doing now.

Wish I had the patience and skills to attempt some of this stuff. You gents make it look so easy.

:thu:

haha ya i remember it too. it's crazy that was only a year ago.. thx :thu::wave:

Archived