Ibanez Refinish Thread!!!

guitarheo3

• Members

hey all,

i was reading great dane's thread and inspiration struck..

i thought "that finish would look good on that ibanez covered in stickers"

so today i started sanding off the blue after a day of sticker peeling (:facepalm:)

i'm going to do a black top finish with black on top and natural on the sides and back.

more to come soon!

P1310386.jpg

P1310387.jpg

P1310388.jpg

P1310389.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just got back from Lowes with my supplies and immedietly filled the volume pot hole.

P2030392.jpg

next i'll be filling the woodchips on the body. then working on ebonizing the fretboard(?) idk how to do this so if you guys have any suggestions...

that's all for now :wave:

• Members

just got back from Lowes with my supplies and immedietly filled the volume pot hole.

P2030392.jpg
next i'll be filling the woodchips on the body. then working on ebonizing the fretboard(?) idk how to do this so if you guys have any suggestions...

that's all for now
:wave:

I usually use a really dark brown Minwax stain they sell at home depot for my projects and it works wonderfully. you do have to be careful not to touch the maple though because that thing is pretty strong, but if you mask it, you shouldn't have any problems. :thu:

• Members

I usually use a really dark brown Minwax stain they sell at home depot for my projects and it works wonderfully. you do have to be careful not to touch the maple though because that thing is pretty strong, but if you mask it, you shouldn't have any problems.
:thu:

hey thx for the advice. damn i was just at lowes and didn't get some ebony stain because i didn't know if it would make the fret board feel weird because of the sealant in it :idk:

• Members

so i went ahead and taped up the sides and back. thought of this niffty idea of takking a exacto knife and rubberbanding two pencils to it like so.

P2050397.jpg

and using it to cut an even strip from the tape to simulate binding.

P2050400.jpg

right now i just shot a coat of primer and waiting for it to dry. keep you posted.

(sorry for the blurry pics)

• Members

hey thx for the advice. damn i was just at lowes and didn't get some ebony stain because i didn't know if it would make the fret board feel weird because of the sealant in it
:idk:

not really, I've never felt a difference in feel after applying it. You don't need to use much either. usually one or two rubs do the trick, because the rosewood already has dark grain. :cool:

Archived