Jazzmaster-style trem on a Telecaster?

turnip

• Members

Much as I love the JM trem system, a Bigsby and matching, properly-installed floating jag/JM bridge would probably be easier.

Not unlike this here:

2bigs2.jpg

Where'd you get a bridge like that cut for a Tele p'up?

• Members

Not mine, but
YOWSA!

sgtele.jpg

I like it. That's pretty close to something I made up in Kisekae. It probably won't come to anything, but I saved it anyway.

378840673.jpg

Trans Surf Green, vintage tint neck, two P90s, Thinline pickguard. I'm not sure about the black P90s... cream didn't look quite right. White, perhaps? Maybe even chrome? Who knows, I was just messing around one night. Anyone out there can build it if they want to :lol:

• Members

Yep, that's my thread. Just did it.

DSC03913.jpg

THAT is beautiful.

Did you mount the bridge directly over the stock bridge plate, or did you have to pick up a different bridge?

Also, hell, let me pick your brain...how much routing was involved in the JM trem plate?

• Members

Has anyone had problems with loss of sustain and strings popping off bridge saddles with this mod? It's a common issue with Jazzmasters because of the very shallow break angle over the bridge. The new Mexican CP models have addressed this by mounting the trem closer to the bridge, increasing the neck/body angle and using a tune-o-matic type bridge.

• Members

Has anyone had problems with loss of sustain and strings popping off bridge saddles with this mod? It's a common issue with Jazzmasters because of the very shallow break angle over the bridge. The new Mexican CP models have addressed this by mounting the trem closer to the bridge, increasing the neck/body angle and using a tune-o-matic type bridge.

As I said, with mine I went with the Mastery Bridge instead of the JM/Jag or Mustang bridge to prevent the aforementioned problems from ever occuring. The Mastery also makes contact with the posts and doesn't rock, so it's making quite a lot of contact. This makes up for any lost sustain. If you did do this and went with the Jag/JM or Mustang bridge, I'm sure it could be cured with a neck shim and bridge height adjustment, but there very well may be a loss of sustain if you go that route.

After properly filing the nut slots and doing a set up, this thing is amazing. I've got a new favorite tele. I haven't tuned the thing in days, it's lighter than my other tele, I've got vibrato now, and it looks hella cool and unique. I love it.

Hope that helps!

Archived