NGD - PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro Signature Model

yell03

• Members

You are definitely going to have to come at that one with a different approach than your Gibbys. PRS and Gibsons are totally different instruments.

1st thing I'd do is play with pickup height. In my experience, PRS pickups like being a little lower than usual.
2nd thing I'd do is set it up
;)

edit:

HNGD-1.jpg

I think a Professional set-up is necessary.

If it still does not get better, I can send it back.

• Members

***Little Update***

I plugged it in to my Engl Screamer, tone was still not as nice as my Gibsons or Fenders.

I really hope this is the right guitar for me.

It looks so nice, but in the end TONE is the most important thing followed closely by playability.

• Members

I called PRS today and spoke to Sean.

I told him I was interested in buying a Custom 24.

I also told him I had played a 2005 and 2007 10 top and a Dave Navarro model.

I also told him I felt like the Dave Navarro was not of the same quality and asked if that was why they are $650 less.

He told me they are EXACTLY the same in terms of quality and it should not sound or feel any different.

He also said they should come prety well set-up from the factory.

The only reason they cost less is the White finish costs less to make.

I guess I just need to give it a little more time, maybe have it professionally set up, switching from 10s to 9s definteily made a difference.

I have 30 days to make sure it is right for me.:thu:

• Members

I called PRS today and spoke to Sean.

I told him I was interested in buying a Custom 24.

I also told him I had played a 2005 and 2007 10 top and a Dave Navarro model.

I also told him I felt like the Dave Navarro was not of the same quality and asked if that was why they are $650 less.

He told me they are EXACTLY the same in terms of quality and it should not sound or feel any different.

He also said they should come prety well set-up from the factory.

The only reason they cost less is the White finish costs less to make.

I guess I just need to give it a little more time, maybe have it professionally set up, switching from 10s to 9s definteily made a difference.

I have 30 days to make sure it is right for me.
:thu:

They are an entirely different beast, my CU22 doesn't play very well with my marshall or drri, I had to go to a Maz 38 to get my desired tone. Once I dialed in the sweet spot, I felt like this was the instrument for me, it took a lot of knob fiddling and frustration to get it, but the thing sings.

• Members

GORGEOUS!

As for the fretting finger, OUCH! But hey, that's what crazy glue is for...
:p

It is healing quick, I'd say by Thursday it will be stable, for now a small bandaid is wise.

Crazy Glue:lol:

• Members

I have not ever played a guitar that doesn't sound good through my Trademark 60. Sure, my Engl sounds better, but everything sounds good through the Trademark. I am not one to fiddle to get my tone. The PRS does not sound bad, just different. I do prefer my Les Paul tone and nothing is going to have that special Strat and Tele sound, they are just unique.

Yell03 - PRS guitars especially with the HFS and Vintage Bass pups are a bit "flat" sounding in some settings. The guitar is "toned" to support your style with some minor tweaks to the amp without the LP punch that can make going from clean to dirty and back a bit floppy.

PRS also has a bit less twang than strats/teles but supports a lot of good tones.

Sorry you don't like it - they can be a bit dry but they are great guitars

• Members

yes, the prs sounds different than the strat and tele- i thought that was the point :idk: i remember when u made the other thread and that seemed to be why everyone favored the prs- you already have a strat, lp, and tele for those tones.

I am very surprised about the playability though... but again, it will not feel like a strat or a lp, but it shouldn't feel cheaper or less playable than other custom 24s in the store. Def get it all set up to make sure.

...it looks pretty lol

• Members

yes, the prs sounds different than the strat and tele- i thought that was the point
:idk:
i remember when u made the other thread and that seemed to be why everyone favored the prs- you already have a strat, lp, and tele for those tones.

I am very surprised about the playability though... but again, it will not feel like a strat or a lp, but it shouldn't feel cheaper or less playable than other custom 24s in the store. Def get it all set up to make sure.

...it looks pretty lol

It is so tough to compare different guitars at different times.

As for the playability, I think my finger has me all pissed and not thinking clearly.

I am really starting to appreciate it.:)

Give me some time.

$1900 is still $1900....

I just want to make sure for that kind of $$$ it is perfect for me.

• Members

You seem like you want to stick with your other guitars. PRS, IMO, are guitars that are quite transparent and can adjust to whatever you need to play. You can play any type of music with it without it sounding bad. Plus, I don't really like the HFS and VB, they are too balanced for me. You can't plug them in after playing a Les Paul or Strat....they just don't have the unique quality right out of the box. I'd say keep it for a while longer and really experiment with your amps and I think you'll start seeing how useful a PRS is.

Also, HNGD, looks sweet! :thu:

• Members

You seem like you want to stick with your other guitars. PRS, IMO, are guitars that are quite transparent and can adjust to whatever you need to play. You can play any type of music with it without it sounding bad. Plus, I don't really like the HFS and VB, they are too balanced for me. You can't plug them in after playing a Les Paul or Strat....they just don't have the unique quality right out of the box. I'd say keep it for a while longer and really experiment with your amps and I think you'll start seeing how useful a PRS is.

Also, HNGD, looks sweet!
:thu:

If you read a bit above I am starting to bond with it.

I think my finger has me all screwed up and pissed off that I can't rip it up with my new guitar.:mad:

I am starting to warm up to it.

• Members

If you read a bit above I am starting to bond with it.

I think my finger has me all screwed up and pissed off that I can't rip it up with my new guitar.
:mad:

I am starting to warm up to it.

I didn't see that, you replied when I was typing my response :)

Anyways, enjoy it....I think you'll get used to it and realize what they are known for.

• Members

As much as a guitar can "grow on you"... you have to give a lot of favor to your first impressions.

I had a Standard 24 with that pup combination, and I never quite jelled with it... eventually sold it.

I did try other PRS that made me very happy... especially the McCarty I have.

If something doesn't "wow" you, and is that much $'s... you have to think that maybe something else will.

:D

M

• Members

My finger is still not healed:mad:

But, I wanted to play.

I just was up jamming as usual.

I ran through the same jams over backing tracks with the PRS, then the VOS, then the PRS, then the LP Custom, then the PRS, then the Strat, then the PRS.

This guitar is great, it is just so comfortable to play.

It might need a slight set-up after putting on the 9s, but it still smokes.

I think it is a KEEPER:thu:

Archived