Anyone Ever Play or own an Orville?

triplover64

• Members

I've got an Orville by Gibson Les Paul 59RI plaintop, and it's better than the 5 or 6 Gibson Les Pauls I've played. The ObG's are meant to be better than the simple Orvilles though. Mine has all the goodies - Gibson 57 pickups and other hardware, medium tenon (some have long), nitro finish, fret edge binding. It plays and sounds great.

• Members

I have owned several over the years, incredible guitars. After I got my first I actually sold the Gibsons that I had at the time, it blew them out of the water in fit, finish and performance.

Mine is a regular Orville, it has the thin poly finish and I have replaced the electronics, but it does have a long tenon and a 1 pc back all other specs are the same as Gibson except no fret edge binding.

I still prefer my Orville over the Gibsons I own now, it is my #1 stage/studio guitar.

• Members

I'd be interested to see if the perceived quality of Orvilles, MIJ/CIJ Fenders, etc. is still as high as it was before the recent Toyota experience popped the bubble of supposed Japanese superiority in build quality/QA. I've played a number of Japanese guitars (Fenders, Yamahas, Yaris, etc.) and while they were fine guitars, I didn't find anything magical about them. I do think that a lot of the supposed superiority was based on perceptions of Japanese industrial practices that may be more illusory- than reality-based these days...

• Members

BSman- the Orvilles were made between 88-98 so the quality is not a perceived thing, it has a history of being what it is.

The contract was overseen by Yamano Gakki, Yamano was the Gibson distributor and known for cherry picking the Gibson production as well, they didn't settle for just any guitar when they built them. The attention to detail and vintage correct features were a big demand in Japan when these were being produced. There was a demand for Les Pauls that were better than the then current Gibson products.

Jelloman, just for your GAS pains. :D

lp_junkie-albums-guitars-08-picture20212

• Members

I'd be interested to see if the perceived quality of Orvilles, MIJ/CIJ Fenders, etc. is still as high as it was before the recent Toyota experience popped the bubble of supposed Japanese superiority in build quality/QA. I've played a number of Japanese guitars (Fenders, Yamahas, Yaris, etc.) and while they were fine guitars, I didn't find anything magical about them. I do think that a lot of the supposed superiority was based on perceptions of Japanese industrial practices that may be more illusory- than reality-based these days...

While you may be right, I have a 76 Greco LP that's just amazing. I've also got a 2007 Gibson LP (Classic Antique), and I'd put the Greco right there with it in terms of construction, playability, etc.

• Members

I guess I'm talking more about the recent Japanese guitars. I have played some recent HH Jaguars, etc. that I thought were not as nicely put together as some of the MIMs I've handled (and the one I bought) recently. I wonder if the Japanese are not somewhat 'resting on their laurels' these days...

• Members

I guess I'm talking more about the recent Japanese guitars. I have played some recent HH Jaguars, etc. that I thought were not as nicely put together as some of the MIMs I've handled (and the one I bought) recently. I wonder if the Japanese are not somewhat 'resting on their laurels' these days...

Oh, gotcha. That makes more sense than the way I interpreted it... :thu:

Archived