Is the action on an electric...

D_Bird

• Members

typically lower than the action on an acoustic? I hadn't picked up my acoustic for some time, and noticed how high the action was compared to my electrics. My acoustic is a low end Fender, so does it just need a setup, or is this normal?

• Members

I usually go for 7/64th on my acoustics. It's not the lowest it can be but I'm used to it and on acoustics, I don't compromise sound for playability because one gets used to any reasonably high action (to a point). The webpage above says factories set up to 6/64th. I don't think so. That's on the low side of acoustics and factory set-ups are always high with a few exceptions.

a really low electric action would be 4/64th. Lower than that doesn't make much sense.

• Members

Assuming it is a regular acoustic, take out the bridge nut out, and take it down to the level you like it. I put sandpaper on the ground and rub it so the bottom of it stays even. If it is a cheaper guitar, it is not uncommon for the area of the guitar behind the bridge to lift, making your action high. If you can't file the bridge nut down far enough and the area behind the bridge is lifting, buy a better guitar. It can be fixed but too expensive for a cheap guitar.

Make sure too that your truss rod has been adjusted properly. Your neck may be bowing upwards, causing high action. Although, it should have the slightest bow upwards, very slight. If it is bowed backwards, you will get fret buzz.

Archived