Improve Squire

RuiSalvador

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think your best bet is finding some new pickups at a reasonable price (depends what is available in your country) and taking it to a good tech and get the setup dialed in.

After that, I would not dump any more money into it. Start saving for a better guitar and more importantly, a good amp. My first guitar was a squier affinity, which I since turned into a project guitar to practice mods on. Now loaded with new pickups and electronics, it's definitely better, but it will never be on par with a mid-range guitar. Going full bore and dropping $200+ in that guitar is just a waste.

i agree with this 100%. upgrade the pickups and saddles, then start saving for another/different guitar.

• Members

sorry , some expressions i don't understand, saddles?

saddles are the part of the bridge that the strings go directly over after the string goes through the trem block. they have the screw with the springs leading up the them.

they are cheap like $10-$15 and are a good solid upgrade.

• Members

If your Affinity Strat stays in tune and you can intonate it skip everything mentioned above and get this. My set came with the pickups(no buzz) pots, caps and resister. When you get them get a Fender 5 way switch too. Go to the Fender website and download the wiring diagram below and use it. Your Affinity will then blow your mind.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301632

Wiring Diagram

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0101000_02B/SD0101000_02BPg2.pdf

• Members

This started out as a affinity. I changed everything on it. Painted myself. The tuners, bridge plate, neck, and body were the only original parts. A good example of affinity series guitars really shine with almost no investment.

AffinityStratocaster2.jpg

• Members
This started out as a affinity. I changed everything on it. Painted myself. The tuners, bridge plate, neck, and body were the only original parts. A good example of affinity series guitars really shine with almost no investment.

AffinityStratocaster2.jpg

How much did you spent ? in what ? what pickups are those ?

• Members
If your Affinity Strat stays in tune and you can intonate it skip everything mentioned above and get this. My set came with the pickups(no buzz) pots, caps and resister. When you get them get a Fender 5 way switch too. Go to the Fender website and download the wiring diagram below and use it. Your Affinity will then blow your mind.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301632

Wiring Diagram

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0101000_02B/SD0101000_02BPg2.pdf

Thanks for sugestion =D
5 way switch ? i thought mine had allready a 5 way ...

woo, those seems really hot pickups, someone knows some that " sound-a-like" that, but more cheap? :p

• Members

How much did you spent ? in what ? what pickups are those ?

Not to sure on the total. The guitar somebody gave me disassembled for maybe 50 bucks. The saddles were dimarzios 20 bucks I think. Pickguard was genuine fender probably 30 bucks. Pickups were from a parts box, dunno what they were but I liked them alot. 10 dollars for paint at Autozone. A buddy nagged me for a very long time and finally got it out of me.

• Members

the bridge is going to stick out the back off the guitar. The block on the tremolo is thicker on that replacement than the one that comes installed from the factory. but it looks good to me

So i will have to remove the backplate right ?? how do i know if it's bigger or not ? :S

just hoping that tremolo is better that mine --"

Archived