Adjectives to describe guitar tone.

PancakeBunny

• Members

Is it just me or do many of the adjectives used to describe tone just seem silly? I hate it when I'm trying to describe how a guitar sounds and I find myself using words like "woody"

Not only is great tone hard to get with an actual guitar and amp. It's hard to describe! Here... why don't you try to describe how the neck pickup on a GREAT Strat sounds?

It has a sound I can hear in my head but {censored} all if I can't describe it without sounding like a tool.

• Members

I don't think the neck pickup on a strat is chimey. I'm thinking of a Strat neck pickup throw a Plexi or Fender Super Reverb.

I think "hollow, woody, throaty" In a good way. It sucks because I love that sound so much. Some Strats have it and some don't. I find that to be the mark of a good strat. Except there's no way I can really describe it without demonstrating it through clips.

• Members

Yer all dancing about architecture.

I do it myself all the time and love to do it, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Except there's no way I can really describe it without demonstrating it through clips.

Do it. The perfect way would be if you post two clips, one with the special sound you're looking for, and one that's similar but without that special sound. Then we could try to find an appropriate word together.

• Members

round or full but i have a reason....

a neck pickup is very full across the spectrum from bass to mids with rolled off highs

where as a bridge is sharp or biting as it emphasizes the high end and up mids to be piercing and cut through

so if you look at a spectrum analysis of the two in comparison the neck will be smoother (or rounder) and the bridge will be peaky (or sharp)

• Members

I absolutely hate when tone (or the blues for that matter) is described as greasy

unless of course they're caring for their instrument with regular application of bacon grease on their fretboard, then its perfectly acceptable

Archived