Bigsby Best Practices?

Armchair Bronco

• Members

I've got a Bigsby B5 + Vibramate on the way. They'll end up on my Gibson SG Classic.

What are some "best practices" for using a Bigsby B5 properly? I've seen YouTube videos of guys who seem to strum *and* use the trem at the same time. How do you do that? What else should I practice to become proficient w/ my new nickel-plated toy?

I have a tremolo on my Fender Jaguar that I've been slowly learning how to use, but the Bigsby is a different animal. It's bigger, fatter, more rigid, and it has its own unique mojo.

• Members

I've got a Bigsby B5 + Vibramate on the way. They'll end up on my Gibson SG Classic.

What are some "best practices" for using a Bigsby B5 properly? I've seen YouTube videos of guys who seem to strum *and* use the trem at the same time. How do you do that? What else should I practice to become proficient w/ my new nickel-plated toy?

I have a tremolo on my Fender Jaguar that I've been slowly learning how to use, but the Bigsby is a different animal. It's bigger, fatter, more rigid, and it has its own unique mojo.

I'd either swap the stock handle for the Chet or Duane Eddy handles, as they're more comfortable and swing freely over the strings. A lot of the times I just keep the thing in my hands while I'm playing - especially for any kind of Neil Young application. Bigger strings limit the range of pitch wiggling, but I find improve tuning stability. Nut slots also need to be wide enough for the strings and lubricated.

I have a Jag trem as well. I find that the Bigsby allows for more subtly and expressiveness over its short range than the Jag/Jazz or any other trem I've tried. Although the Jag/Jazz trem is my favorite of the ones Fender makes.

Archived