Who is Jeff Waters and why does Epiphone care?

GilmourD

• Members

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1803

OK, apparently this guy's from some band called Annihilator? Who?

I used Google to search for any mentions of him here on Harmony-Central. In the past year he's only been mentioned twice. Most threads about him prior to that tend to go unanswered.

So, how'd this guy get a signature guitar, even if it is only an Epiphone?

I think this guy's only fame is on his Wikipedia page.

• Members

Time for a lesson in Thrash:

Jeff Waters is a Canadian born guitarist whom fronted and in many cases played all the instruments in studio for the Canadian Thrash band Annihilator(10-14 albums I believe)

Their first album came out in 88 or 89 I think. Alice in Hell has some ridulously good Metal guitar riffs and leads throughout.

It was said at one time Jeff was the fastest guitar picking pro player but it has been greatly debated.

I remember reading a article way back that said Zakk,Dime and Jeff were the new metal guitar guns.

I dig him getting a sig over any of the latest Zakk sig Abortions honestly.

Great player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilator_%28band%29

• Members

^

Because Thrash let alone Canadian Thrash isnt that widely talked about around here sadly.

I loves me some DRI,Anthrax,Annihilator,Exodus,Overkill myself.

Yeah, but I've heard of the other bands there, but never Annihilator.

• Members

But if he's so good and known, how come searches didn't even come up with him being mentioned in the "underrated" threads that pop up ever so often?

Because after putting out two of the most amazing thrash albums, he made it a point to release many MANY albums of CRAP. Also, in the 90's he lost his US distribution, so for a good ten years most people thought the band didn't even exist anymore. After finally getting all those albums released, I kinda wish they HAD disappeared after the first 2.

For the record, he's an AMAZING guitarist and wholly underrated. Also, don't judge by what you get for searches on HC. I mean, try doing a search for "Guitar" and you're likely to get the same kind of crappy results.

• Members

^

Because Thrash let alone Canadian Thrash isnt that widely talked about around here sadly.

I loves me some DRI,Anthrax,Annihilator,Exodus,Overkill myself.

+1 and then some!! Sometimes it seems like all anybody wants to talk about on this forum musically, and guitar-wise is mainstream blues, blues-rock, and classic rock. Occasionally metal - but you'd better keep it mainstream. Thrash? - hardly ever. Ditto for country, jazz, and fusion.

I remember Annihilator. It's good to see that Jeff is still active. That guy has some serious chops!.

• Members

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1803

OK, apparently this guy's from some band called Annihilator? Who?

I used Google to search for any mentions of him here on Harmony-Central. In the past year he's only been mentioned twice. Most threads about him prior to that tend to go unanswered.

So, how'd this guy get a signature guitar, even if it is only an Epiphone?

I think this guy's only fame is on his Wikipedia page.

You do not know Annihiliator :confused:

They were huge . . . that was one of the must know bands among the true die hard metal fans of the 80's.

• Members

+1 and then some!! Sometimes it seems like all anybody wants to talk about on this forum musically, and guitar-wise is mainstream blues, blues-rock, and classic rock. Occasionally metal - but you'd better keep it mainstream. Thrash? - hardly ever. Ditto for country, jazz, and fusion.

I remember Annihilator. It's good to see that Jeff is still active. That guy has some serious chops!.

Ahhh, glad to see someone actually remeber them from way back then :thu:

• Members

At :43 seconds stage diver dives into nothingness, poor fella.

As for Jeff, I have loved Annihilator since Alice, just an amazing guitar player. He has a swing about his playing, that is similar to Dimes.

Yeah I lol'd at that too, poor guy!

And I agree man, he has this certain command over the instrument like he just means business, ya know? A lot like Dime did :rawk:

I just checked out the specs of his Epi - looks pretty damned nice actually! I love phenolic fretboards :love:

Archived