Fender Pro Jr vs Fender Super Champ XD

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

It's me again Margaret....

Has anyone here played both of them and can compare the 2? I'm thinking that a 5W isn't going to get me what I want, so now i'm looking at a 15W.

I've seen reviews of both and the Pro Jr looks like the better sounding amp, but the Super Champ is a little cheaper and has some extra features.

I kinda like the idea of only a volume and tone knob on the Pro Jr, makes life nice and simple, but dont' want a one trick pony either.

What i'm looking for tone wise is gritty, bluesy strat tones, but someting that will sound good if I throw a crunchy distortion pedal in front of it.

Which one would fit the bill better?

What I really want is a Peavey Classic 30, but that seems to be hard to find on the used market and I want other options to look into

• Members

I've played both and own a super champ XD.

For me, the superchamp XD excells most at the luesy just breaking up stuff and comes with a few usable effects including a nice reverb.

The pro junior is a nice good sounding amp but you have to turn it up really loud to get any gain and it has no reverb.

Both are good amps, it depends how much versitility you're after

• Members

I've played both and own a super champ XD.

For me, the superchamp XD excells most at the luesy just breaking up stuff and comes with a few usable effects including a nice reverb.

The pro junior is a nice good sounding amp but you have to turn it up really loud to get any gain and it has no reverb.

Both are good amps, it depends how much versitility you're after

I'd like the ability to get some gain at bedroom level (which is why I was looking at a 5W in the beginning). But as I said, I can always throw a pedal in front of either one.

I've liked waht i've heard of the Super Champ and the extra effects (does it have chorus:D) would be nice. This is why I want to go to a GC, because they'll have the stock so I can A/B a few amps to see what I want

• Members

Pro Junior is definitely less versatile. However, it's a great sounding amp for what it is.

I have the Super Champ XD's little brother, the Virbo Champ XD, and I really like it a lot. And it's plenty loud for at-home playing.

• Members

SCXD...gotta love it. I find it very easy to dial in a great sound. Break-up at low volume no problem. Yes it has chorus, and a really cool vibrolux. The GC near me has a used one for $199. I thought of getting a second one. I switched the speaker to a Eminence Ragin Cajun. You wont be disappointed.

• Members

It depends what you want to use it for. I'm a big fan of Pro Juniors, they sit very well in a band mix, but I almost never use them at home. I've experimented with different speakers but it still has a prominent midrange which doesn't work too well at low volume with or without pedals. Plugging into a 4x12 helps but that defeats the object. Turn it up and it's a different matter, but boy is it loud.

I haven't tried the Super Champ XD, but if I was looking for an amp for the house I'd start there.

• Members

I'd like the ability to get some gain at bedroom level (which is why I was looking at a 5W in the beginning). But as I said, I can always throw a pedal in front of either one.

I've liked waht i've heard of the Super Champ and the extra effects (does it have chorus:D) would be nice. This is why I want to go to a GC, because they'll have the stock so I can A/B a few amps to see what I want

The best sounds to my ears are the just breaking up fender amp models but there are some usefull distortion sounds in the voxy marshallish models (voices 7, 8 & 10 IIRC)

The out and out metal voices are a bit pants (IMHO)

Overall I'm very happy with mine and it does produce great tones at bedroom volumes, though you might only be on 1 on the volume! (It does get loud if you want it too)

• Members

I own both.

The Super Champ is better for a practice amp that emulates more tones and has some decent built-in fx.

The Pro Junior is better for an instrument grade small amp where you want pure tube overdrive. It's got a bigger deeper voice.

If I had to let one go, the Super Champ would go first, but I do enjoy both of them. Even though I'm a home hobbyist either way, I think of the Pro Junior as being more of a performance amp and I use the SuperChamp as my big bedroom amp. When I don't want that much I use a Vox DA5. I've also used the Vox Pathfinder as a bedroom amp, but I wanted something more for the bedroom with more voices and fx so I got the SuperChamp. But the Pro Junior is just a bit more than that in my book.

Caveat: My Pro Junior is an older tweed version that came stock with an alnico speaker.

• Members

i have played both, but find it hard to make a direct comparison. a modeling amp with a few tubes? or a pure straight up classic fender tube amp.

the only things i can say is that the SCXD is versitile and could play almost anything. and the pro jr. is just a classic amplifier with sweet and pure tone. it isnt really a fair comparison. to me its just like comparing a tele to a les paul.

• Members

Super Champ XD all the way. I have used it over a 2x12 cab and, with the footswitch, run straight into the amp for entire gigs. It can do clean blackface, dirty blackface, nice tweed tones (number 3 voice on channel 2 starts at awesome and just gets better), a whole bunch of others, and the reverbs and delays are usable. The modulation effects are not that bad.

There are hundreds of tones to pull out of it and many ways to do it. As I said above, I run a 2x12 under it a lot of times and it sounds even better that way. It works well with both single coils and 'buckers.

• Members

About a year ago I was interested in the Pro Jr and tried a couple out. One was used and one was brand new in the store, and they were both incredibly noisy as far as hum. That was a dealbreaker for me, especially for recording. So I wound up getting a SCXD and am very happy with it, and still impressed with it's versatility and tone. Just a few days ago I put a Jensen Neo speaker in it. It's way louder than the stock speaker, but haven't had time to really experiment and dial it in yet.

Before this I had a Blues Jr and a 70's silverface Vibro Champ, and I like the SCXD best, by far. Fantastic amp for the money.

• Members

Thing I like about my SCDX is you don't need to be loud to get nice tonze.

Sold my Blues Jr. after I got my XD. Plenty loud but if I want more I just use my Bad Monkey clean infront of it.

Another bonus is I can record into my computer with the line out.

• Members

Cranking even 5w enough to get some grit goes way past bedroom levels. 5w can be pretty loud... loud enough to piss off neighbors.

Archived