Is A 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard Better Than Average, In Terms of Value, Quality...

stevieb

• Members

Check completed auctions on Ebay for approximate value. I'd say around $2000 if I had to guess.

Lots of people will tell you that the 80's sucked for Gibson. Personally, I've never played an 80s Gibson but that's the word on the street.

• Members

I've got an '80 LP Custom which I consider to be a great guitar. But, people posting here are absolutely right. The early '80s were really hit or miss with Gibson. There is some crappy stuff out there from shoddy inlay, fret, neck work to mismatched necks and bodies.

I would definitely play before purchasing...

• Members

What's "knoking on a bit" mean? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh, and wouldn't ANYTHING made of wood make a very poor boat anchor?

Knockin on a bit is an English colloquialism meanin old, which in guitar terms is generally thought of as " a good thing"

Boat anchor is a reference to the Norlin era guitars often being very heavy (some as much as 13-14 lbs:eek:)

The Norlin years (named after the comapny that owned them at the time) is not seen as the best era as QC suffered and they strayed away from the classic LP recipe adding at differenc times a layer of maple in the middle of the body (pancake), mini hum p'ups and neck volutes (lumpy bit designed to make the neck stonger. They also used maple necks at times and some of the burst finishes became garish and were often on 3 or more piece tops.

Saying all that, there are some great guitars from that era, it's just a bit more hit and miss

• Members

I played an 82 custom and it was a total piece of {censored}. Heavy...dead...seriously probably the worst "good" guitar I've ever played.

Sorry if that upsets some people but whatever...that's my experience and it goes to confirm the stereotype for me anyway. I suppose I'm just gibson bashing though...right?

• Members

funny, as I never heard anything other than the exact opposite.. ( and my '88 335 is bloody marvellous
:)
)

No. The early '80s were well known to be a funk time for Gibson. That's not to say that good guitars weren't produced. It was just really hit or miss...

Archived