Question about my wiring.

kujozilla

• Members

I have a strat that has a loose input jack. I have replaced the pickups, pots, and switch with some that were already all tied in together from a guitarfetish pickgaurd. The problem is now I can't get the guitar to make any noise besides feedback through my input jack. I don't think it is the pickups but be it that I am primarily an acoustic guy I may be wrong. Any suggestions?:idk:

• Members

If you have a multimeter, check for resistance across the output jack, and every connection you can (especially the ones you made when installing the assembly).

If it were just the connections reversed at the jack, the guitar would probably be very noisy but I think he would still be able to hear playing.

• Members

One thought - won't require any equipment to check. You said your jack was loose. If it got twisted around enough while loose it could have broken a wire at the jack. Small stranded wire can sometimes break inside the insulation, but the insulation itself remains intact. Wiggle the first half inch or so of wire right at the jack, and see if one of them feels extremely "soft" and floppy. If so, you may have a break up inside the insulation.

I can't think of much more you can do other than to visually check your solder joints. A rough, dull, looking joint may be a "cold" joint as everyone has pointed out, that's causing the problem. You really do need at least some kind of rudimentary continuity checker for this. Probably can get some very basic meter for under 10.00 I imagine.

• Members

I didn't make any connections (aside from the one to the input). It isn't the input and I don't have a multimeter. Any other way of testing short of resoldering everything piece by piece?

You should also have soldered a bridge ground connection too, but that wouldn't cause the problem you're describing. Does touching the pickup pole pieces cause any noise through the amp?

A picture of the wiring or some more info would be helpful, the problem is quite general at this point. What does the "feedback" sound like?

• Members

I have my white going to the input hooked up to the tone knob not next to the volume. The black wire is hooked up with the black wires from the pickups. What can I undo (or add preferably) to fix my 1st and 5th position whistles?

• Members

The black wire is hooked up with the black wires from the pickups. What can I undo (or add preferably) to fix my 1st and 5th position whistles?

The black wire from the switch? Should be grounded to the back of the pots, along with the pickup black leads. Since it seems the middle pickup is the one working properly, look for any differences in the way it's wired compared to the bridge and neck. You can also compare to a wiring diagram from SD or the like, but there is more than one valid way to wire a strat so that's not a guarantee.

• Members

Do you have the GFS wiring diagram? Sounds like you need to go back to the beginning and do a totally conventional hookup. Or as inkblot suggested, if you can post a pic of your wiring someone might be able to help sort it out.

• Members

I have my white going to the input hooked up to the tone knob not next to the volume. The black wire is hooked up with the black wires from the pickups. What can I undo (or add preferably) to fix my 1st and 5th position whistles?

Post a pic. That just doesn't sound right.

• Members

Would have posted a pic today but I somehow made this cluster{censored} work. This is easily the biggest pain in the ass I've had with electronics and the hookup styling is strange now but at least it works the way it should.

I'm not hating on GuitarFetish' prewounds or anything chances are I just got a bad one. For the price you can't beat the fact that it is 3 pickups a pick-guard and all the trimmings.

Archived