About to order a Bugera V22.

twotimingpete

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DO IT!!!!!

Not every amp is everyone's cup of tea but speaking for myself I think the V22 is a great amp. I'm loving it more and more every time I gig with it. The first one I got had the channel switching problem but the second one has been rock solid.

My bandmembers think it sounds great too.

• Members

I've been trying to snag a used hot rod deluxe for a while now, but they always end up above my price range (talking ebay). I'd have to get lucky to snag one under $400. it happens here and thre, but usually it ends up over that.

so I'm like... well, the v22 would be good in the bedroom and with a drummer, and I'll save dough especially if these dudes give me 20% (I bet I can get at least 15% -- otherwise I just won't buy).

slightly concerned about some of the reliability reports, but the value and sound quality (in terms of the hype and reviews) is really promising.

• Members

I've been trying to snag a used hot rod deluxe for a while now, but they always end up above my price range (talking ebay). I'd have to get lucky to snag one under $400. it happens here and thre, but usually it ends up over that.

so I'm like... well, the v22 would be good in the bedroom and with a drummer, and I'll save dough especially if these dudes give me 20% (I bet I can get at least 15% -- otherwise I just won't buy).

slightly concerned about some of the reliability reports, but the value and sound quality (in terms of the hype and reviews) is really promising.

the only reliability issue I'm aware of has been the channel switching problem and there's a thread on TGP in which someone mentions that it's possible they've already isolated the problem. If that's the case, a fix should be on the way soon.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=7861028&postcount=243

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=7862534&postcount=248

either way, the problem is definitely heat related so it can be kept under control by putting a small fan in the amp and pointing it at the tubes and transformer. I do that with all my tube amps anyway. Keeps them cool during long gigs and lengthens tube life.

What I did when I got my second one is took it home, plugged it in and just let it sit there for a few hours getting nice and warm to see if it would do it. So far so good.....no switching problems. And like I said, for gigs I always run a fan on it so even if the amp develops the problem, it shouldn't happen at a gig.

I got the first one from M123 and had no problems returning it. I called them up, explained the issue, and within 5 minutes they had emailed me a prepaid UPS label.

So, bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it. Buy the amp. The sound quality and value is amazing and if you do happen to get one with the switching issue, you can always return it.

• Members

Definitely do it. It's a great little amp. Exactly what I was looking for in a small(er) 1x12 combo. The best "feature" is it's versatility. The controls are very sensitive. You can tweak a variety of very good to great tones out of it.

• Members

Don't be discouraged if it needs a tube or two. Mine had a microphonic preamp tube. It was still usable and would be drown out if you played at moderate volume. I put in an old GE greyplate to great effect. The stock Power tubes have been quite good I see no need to change them.. I actually think Sovtek makes a darned good EL-84. Nearly every time I fall for JJs they stink. (probably me as I'm a {censored} magnet when it comes to buying stuff off the internet. Even new stuff I order seems to come with major issues.

I bought my V-22 at GC but never opened it up just lugged it home and am very happy with it. I also bought a V-55 Head to go with it!! Put a NOS Jan in V-1 and it is jusy spectacular!!! I've got to get better at recording with this stuff 'cause it really sounds great in the room. I need to capture that for yous guys here on the HC forums.

• Members

Just what I want. An amp I have to use with a fan that came with {censored}ty tubes.

Yeah...this piece of {censored} Mesa Boogie Mark V has one too....must be junk.

MainShot.jpg

And this Engl Sovereign combo actually has TWO fans....duh...crapola...

679804.jpg

WTF were they thinking!!!

• Members

But it's a Berhinger in makeup:eek:

and this means..........:confused:

Oh...you mean it's less expensive than other amps yet still sounds better than a bunch of higher priced amps? Like the 1300.00 mesa express I demoed it next to?

In that case, I see your point and I agree! If a company like behringer can make an amp that sounds this good and is as versatile tone-wise, why are other lesser amps from other manufacturers so much more expensive? :thu:

• Members

If a company like behringer can make an amp that sounds this good and is as versatile tone-wise, why are other lesser amps from other manufacturers so much more expensive?
:thu:

Because other manufacturers have departments like R+D, customer service, manufacturing and repair. Behringer only has to pay trademark lawyers, and the cheapest factory they can find to build their crap.

• Members

Because other manufacturers have departments like R+D, customer service, manufacturing and repair. Behringer only has to pay trademark lawyers, and the cheapest factory they can find to build their crap.

umm..no....bugera also has R+D, customer service, manufacturing and repair.

And if they can find a way to make a great sounding amp for less money, I'm all for it! You can keep paying $2K for amps that don't sound as good and aren't as versatile as my 349.00 one.

btw, a week or so ago I was playing a gig with my bugera and during a break someone complimented me on the tone I was getting from my bogner duende. :thu:

• Members

It's not wise to make statements when you don't know what you're talking about.

1a. After many months on the market, no one so far has been able to determine what the V series Bugera amps are copies of....because they have their own sound and don't appear to be a clone of anything. Original design by their R&D, it appears. Cosmetics of a Matchless or Bad Cat, but their own sound.

1b. Lee Ritenour is in the process of working with Bugera to design his signature amp. Again...R&D. Strike one...

2. I've called Bugera/Behringer customer service myself, as have others. Emails have been sent to them by others, with responses. Strike two...

3a. Bugera/Behringer owns their own factory in China (unlike other manufacturers who have amps MIC, like Marshall, Blackheart, Vox, Jet City, etc...).

3b. Bugera/Behringer has service centers all over the country, and word is from those who have used them, that repairs are taken care of in an expedient manner. Strike three...

You're out....

:p

• Members

Find me the amp that Behringer copied for this one or the V-55 too.

I'd love to know what it is!! Betcha won't find another with this circut design.

In fact even Bruce Egnater said there's only so many direction to go with a tube amp and they've all pretty much been gone in.

• Members

Bugera are cheap amps so there are bound to be a few QC issues. The British 'Guitar and Bass' mag reviewed a couple and there were a few concerns voiced about the flimsy innards and consequent doubts about 'roadworthiness'. No such qualms about the sound quality though; that they liked.

But, hey, take it for what it is. If it needs a couple of valves or a fan, so what? You're still saving plenty over an American or European equivalent.

I'm wanting to try a V22 myself but I'm still hesitant to buy something with, as yet, no proven track record.

• Members

I have a bud who just picked one up too replace his stolen Classic 30.

I think it has great tone too it and much better than I thought an open back "cheapie" could possess. Im not sure if its more vox or marshall but the two channels work really good and the gain was more useable than expected.

The reverb wasnt bad by any means either.

Ive yet too use any od's/dirt or looped mods and delays but I imagine they will just add too the cool tonal package that allready is the V22.

Archived