Alex Chilton's death is the only "celebrity" death to really have an impact on me.

PancakeBunny

• Members

Alex, while not a household name, was arguably one of indie rock's 3 biggest influences. (the others being the Velvet Undeground and Brian Wilson, who shows up in practically every new band these days)

Those first 2 Big Star records have really held up. In my opinion, it's the greatest collection of power pop ever commited to tape. Had their career not been sabotaged, they would forever be etched in the consciousness of each and every one of us as classic rock stations would be playing those songs ad nauseum.

Alex's guitar playing cannot be discounted either. The way he mixed power chords with melodic runs and counter melodies should have every guitar geek on here salivating.

ALEX CHILTON was a HUGE influence on my life and I hope he is at peace.

• Members

I don't know that they're still popular, but I'm OLD and they're just one of those bands I like.

Back to Mr. Chilton, Godspeed.

They're like the Pixies and Husker Du: they pretty much ended before Nirivana took over and got over shadowed by what came next , but the grunge bands wouldn't really exist if it weren't for them. And those of us that listened to "College" music in the '80s are still fans, I'm sure, and these bands gain fans, not lose them.

Archived