Steinberger R-Trem is out of whack

danielleesale

• Members

I'm having some problems with a Steinberger R-Trem. I don't know if I've messed it up, or if I'm just doing something wrong.

Those problems include:

* High E string won't go on because the little box it goes into doesn't stick out far enough.

* There is a difference in tuning between the hardtail/floating configurations. One can be in tune, while the other is not.

Are there any good directions on the web for setting one up?

Your help is appreciated.

• Members

I've never set-up an "R"-Trem, but I have set-up a trans-trem, and the principle is sort-of the same.

As far as the high E-String, you basically will have to do whatever it takes to put it on. This could include unscrewing the high-E tuning knob almost all the way, then dive-bombing the trem to move the saddle close enough to slip the ball-end into the socket. Until you have all the strings on, you cannot adjust the floating aspect of the trem.

After all the strings are on, adjust the main knob so that the locking arm will perfectly lock/unlock without any friction, then leave it in the locked position and tune-up using the tuning knob for each string, then unlock the trem and adjust the main knob so that it locks/unlocks perfectly, then lock it again and repeat the tuning process.

It will probably take several re-adjustments of the tuning to get it all set-up so that the locked/unlocked tension on the trem is synchronized.

:confused:

• Members

I'm having some problems with a Steinberger R-Trem. I don't know if I've messed it up, or if I'm just doing something wrong.

Those problems include:

* High E string won't go on because the little box it goes into doesn't stick out far enough.

* There is a difference in tuning between the hardtail/floating configurations. One can be in tune, while the other is not.

Are there any good directions on the web for setting one up?

Your help is appreciated.

Are you absolutely, positively sure you have the correct set of strings for your R tremolo? There are like, four different types of strings for Steinberger's, and if you don't have the correct type, you'll end-up with problems like not being able to put the High E on.

I believe that for your R-trem, you'd want one of the first 6 packs listed on this page (I always use La Bella, and haven't had any problems):

http://www.juststrings.com/labellasteinbergerdoubleballguitar.html

Here's what little tech info I could find on the R-Trem:

http://www.musicyo.com/setups.asp

You have to tune-up with the trem locked, then release the lock, and then use the spring-knob to bring the trem back to the "in-tune" position.

The spring-knob is not to adjust spring-tension for "feel" (like using more or less springs on a Strat), but is used to adjust the trem back to the "zero-point" that the trem was at when you had it locked.

Good luck!

• Members

I forgot to mention; my best luck buying the La Bella strings has been at Sam Ash. In my experience GC hasn't carried them.

Although the current Musicyo.com site doesn't have the following info any longer (now that Steinberger Spirit sales have gone "bricks & mortar" retail), using the Internet Archieve you can see the various replacement parts they used to carry. Including the "universal string adapter", which allows you to use single-ball, conventional strings on your Spirit.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030219230459/www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=Parts

Ofcourse, if you do get one of these adapters somewhere, and put it on your guitar, you'll be shunned by the rest of the Steinberger Spirit fundimentalist community. Just as we are shunned by the Steinberger American made fundimentalist community.

By the way, which model/finish Spirit did you get?

• Members

Also, I have seen the R-trem get knocked-off of the post that the trem pivots on. This can happen if the trem is moved around alot, with the strings off. If it was off on the treble side, it could cause the High-E to not reach it's saddle.

As far as having to "dive-bomb" the trem to get the strings on, it's something that I have never had to do, if I had the correct string set.

• Members

I forgot to mention; my best luck buying the La Bella strings has been at Sam Ash. In my experience GC hasn't carried them.

Although the current Musicyo.com site doesn't have the following info any longer (now that Steinberger Spirit sales have gone "bricks & mortar" retail), using the Internet Archieve you can see the various replacement parts they used to carry. Including the "universal string adapter", which allows you to use single-ball, conventional strings on your Spirit.

Ofcourse, if you do get one of these adapters somewhere, and put it on your guitar, you'll be shunned by the rest of the Steinberger Spirit fundimentalist community. Just as we are shunned by the Steinberger American made fundimentalist community.

By the way, which model/finish Spirit did you get?

I managed to snag one of the aftermarket string adapters that show up on Ebay from time to time... ~$40 shipped. Worth every penny, no matter what the 'fundamentalists' say.

re: the R-trem. After about five years, the unit on mine (GU-7R) no longer resets back to 'zero' no matter what I do. I've determined that either A) the trem post on the high E side is no longer the correct shape or B) the knife edge has dulled.

• Members

I managed to snag one of the aftermarket string adapters that show up on Ebay from time to time... ~$40 shipped. Worth every penny, no matter what the 'fundamentalists' say.

re: the R-trem. After about five years, the unit on mine (GU-7R) no longer resets back to 'zero' no matter what I do. I've determined that either A) the trem post on the high E side is no longer the correct shape or B) the knife edge has dulled.

I was just discussing this with a luthier friend of mine that does some headless guitar work and uses R-trems...I'm not sure if you've taken the bridge apart, but if release the tension on the trem....ummm, tension knob, and lift the body off the base (the tension adjustment spring will come out in your hand...beefy spring too!) you can examine the posts and the fulcrum/knife edges. Holy shit my fulcrums had semi-circles cut into them from wear. This does a few things: the bridge sits closer to the front of the route, digging into the wood there, while also reducing the trem tuning stability and its ability to return to zero, as mentioned. I've pretty much kept it locked since then. The ability to buy new fulcrums would be freaking awesome! Might look into how much to have them machined and maybe sell them on ebay or something, dunno. Anyway, what's a thread without pics...here's one of mine:

P1010074.jpg

• Members

Also, I have seen the R-trem get knocked-off of the post that the trem pivots on. This can happen if the trem is moved around alot, with the strings off. If it was off on the treble side, it could cause the High-E to not reach it's saddle.

As far as having to "dive-bomb" the trem to get the strings on, it's something that I have never had to do, if I had the correct string set.

Yeah, the string is certainly not reaching it's saddle. What you've described here is probably what has happened, because I've tried 2 different sets of strings now, with the same result.

Also, this is the first time I've tried to replace the strings. I just acquired this guitar not too long ago, and have been using the strings that came with it. So, it's probably off the post the trem pivots on, like you suggest.

How is that fixed?

• Members

How is that fixed?

I don't happen to own a Steinberger at this time, but I believe grooveHT's post (above) discribes the correct method of disassembly, but turning the spring adjuster knob counter-clockwise, until the knob releases, and then things come apart.

Then you could exam the tremolo's pivot-post and re-assemble the darn thing, giving you an idea how it all works. I tried to find diagrams on the web, but was unsucessful.

A little OT, this site is great for all things headless:

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/

• Members

Ok, I've just noticed something. My high E string is not as long as my other 5 strings. I don't think doing anything with the trem will get it over to the saddle, it's just too far away. The other 5 strings will go into that saddle easily, though.

Remember, this is the second pack I've tried, so it's the second instance of my high E string being too short.

WTF?

• Members

...Holy {censored} my fulcrums had semi-circles cut into them from wear...

Yeah, I've taken it apart several times. Mine has a groove worn into the high-E trem post which is causing the problem. I've successfully filed away most of the damage, but it still doesn't return to pitch every time. For the time being, mine also stays in the locked position.

Also, I believe that one of your 'knife edges' is supposed to have a semi-circle shape while the other is straight. I seem to remember taking mine apart soon after I got it to see how it worked & I noticed that the fulcrums were different from one-another.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm having problems with this trem too.

I just broke my first string on my new/second-hand Steinberger spirit; the high E string. I go to change it and I loosen the tuning knob for the high E but the saddle just stops coming forward. None of the ball shows. I keep turning the tuning knob, but the knob just comes out. The ball end in the bridge just won't come out!

I wanted to gig this guitar tomorrow. Any help will be truly appreciated.

Archived