Unexpected NGD -- Fernandes Sustainer

Deadbeat Son

• Members

I wasn't in the market for a new guitar, but I came across a used Fernandes Monterey in a satin metallic black with the sustainer circuit. I'm not sure what model it is, but it looks the same as the Monterey Elite only without a figured maple top. Anyway, it's a pretty cool axe. It has a couple of nicks and scratches, but that doesn't bother me. It has a SD JB in the bridge, Fernandes Sustainer pickup in the neck, Grover tuners, and pretty nice (looking anyway) hardware.

While it looks like it was originally a satin finish, it's worn shiny in areas. I think I'll order some Virtuoso cleaner and polish to finish it off. Any other recommendations?

And of course, TTIWWOP.

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

• Members

I'm not sure if they're Japanese or not. I had an 06 Revolver Pro 81 that was made in Indonesia, though that might not tell us anything. Either way, HNGD if it plays good! I always dug the Montereys.

• Members

I played with a Sustainer equipped guitar last month. It comes as standard in the Manson MB-1.

I assume yours has the harmonic sustain mode as well? Play around with it, it's all kinds of kickass :rawk:

HNGD :thu:

• Members

Thanks everyone! I definitely didn't plan on buying it. I went into the guitar store for a couple of Telecaster switch tips and came out with this.

I assume yours has the harmonic sustain mode as well?

Yes, the sustainer has two modes. The first is just kind of an infinite sustain. The second is a fifth order harmonic. It's crazy! This thing is fun to play around on, but I really don't have a use for it with the music I play. It's making me GAS for a 5150 so I can pound out some METAL (which really isn't my thing). A good friend of mine really wants this, so I may let him have it.

• Members

So to use the sustainer, you have to use their neck pickup? That kind of sucks.

You have to keep that neck pickup, yes, as it's what operates similar to an Ebow and draws the string to get infinite sustain and feedback. It's a pretty small drawback to the benefit of having that kind of control over every note you play and the amount of feedback and harmonics you get.

• Members

You have to keep that neck pickup, yes, as it's what operates similar to an Ebow and draws the string to get infinite sustain and feedback. It's a pretty small drawback to the benefit of having that kind of control over every note you play and the amount of feedback and harmonics you get.

Okay, I misread that question. I thought he said "you have to use THE neck pickup" as opposed to "THEIR neck pickup". Accurate statement.

Archived