Large Guitar Co With The Best Q/C

Bbreaker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

from the few i have seen in stores, Godin makes a premium guitar, but I think PRS does it on a larger scale.

if only PRS didnt have like a 10 foot thick finishes. i cant stand that with PRS and thats why i dont own one.

They only look 10 feet deep because they are done very well.

The finish on mine is actually fairly thin. It has a few good chips around the edge where you can see the finish thickness. The finish on Mexi Strat is probably 3 times as thick.

• Members

They only look 10 feet deep because they are done very well.

The finish on mine is actually fairly thin. It has a few good chips around the edge where you can see the finish thickness. The finish on Mexi Strat is probably 3 times as thick.

maybe a played a bunch of low end models or something. i dont know.

even if that is the case, i still cant stand the way they feel.

• Members

from the few i have seen in stores, Godin makes a premium guitar, but I think PRS does it on a larger scale.

if only PRS didnt have like a 10 foot thick finishes. i cant stand that with PRS and thats why i dont own one.

i don't have a massive amount of experience with PRS, but all the examples I've owned (and currently own) actually have fairly thin finishes. impressive finish-work too, IMO.

• Members

Yeah, of the 5 biggest companies, I'd have to say PRS are the most consistent.

I have a friend that has a gold top (not sure of the model as I'm not really a PRS guy, but it has two HBs, no trem and has the 5 way rotary switch) and it has a couple dings around the controls and the finish looks pretty damn thin to me. WAY thinner than the few MIMs I've seen in the process of being stripped.

• Members

Yeah, PRS probably has the best QC of the big companies. I'm still kicking myself for having to pass on a korina Custom 22 hardtail that was selling for $2,200, but I was already pushing the limits of my budget last year.

Yamaha also has solid quality control. Fender was pulling up its socks in 2008 but I've heard a few reports that they've started to slip again.

• Members

Yeah, PRS probably has the best QC of the big companies. I'm still kicking myself for having to pass on a korina Custom 22 hardtail that was selling for $2,200, but I was already pushing the limits of my budget last year.

Yamaha also has solid quality control. Fender was pulling up its socks in 2008 but I've heard a few reports that they've started to slip again.

This brings an interesting point. Yamaha's quality is really good even on their cheaper instruments ($300-$750). I have no experience with their cheapest lines.

At >$1500 a certain level of quality is to be expected (although not always delivered), but kudos to Yamaha for their QC regardless of price or country of origin.

Archived