so, what's the best sub $100 pedal tuner?

diceman1000

• Members

I have a PW and it's good. I got it very cheap on Ebay and just use it for offstage tuning between sets and at home while I'm working on guitars. I have a rack tuner that I use otherwise.

For the money I think the GFS is a helluva deal. The guys here that have them say they are very good.

If I didn't have the PW and was in the market for a pedal tuner, I'd go with that one.

• Members

A chromatic tuner is one that covers the chromatic scale A A# B C D # E F F# G G#. As opposed some limited guitar tuners that only cover EBDGA. MOST tuners are chromatic, and that's what I recommend buying, because not all of us tune to concert tuning (EBGDAE).

A strobe tuner have nothing to do with being chromatic or not, it deals with how the tuner works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_tuner

Within that price range, the best , IMHO, are:

The Korg Pitchblack is an excellent pedal tuner. Better than Boss, Fender, etc.

If you play live, the TC Elec Polytune actually gives you a readout of all six strings at once for a reference to which string is out of tune. As a single note tuner, it's really no more or less accurate than the Korg and others.

Though my favorite of ALL is the Turbotuner (faster and more accurate than the Korg), which is $130 (and a strobe tuner).

However, none of these are absolutely necessary for intonation, a cheap $20 tuner can work just fine as well. So, if you find a good deal on Fender, PW, GS or whatever and it does what you need, it's fine. I got 20 years out of my old Sabine, and only replaced it with a Turbotuner because I lost it for a few months. So, once you buy one, you should be able to get years, if not decades out of it.

• Members

If you have an iphone/ipod touch, may I recommend getting the peterson strobe app? it's $5 and an adaptor can be had for another $15

It has replaced everything I do at home and when gigging/playing out I use a TU-2...which has been recently replaced by the TU-3

• Members

I've got a Pitch Black and it's pretty darn good for what it does. I don't think I'd do intonation with it though; I think that there are some other options on it, but it's on my board and I use APTuner on the PC to do my setups. It's extremely accurate and easy to use.

If I was going to buy one for intonation the first one I'd go with would be the Turbo Tuner. It's the most accurate and fastest responding tuner on the market and it's not sold by one of those huge companies; I like supporting smaller guys with good products.

But the new Polytune has me intrigued. It's accurate as hell and the idea of being able to see all six strings at the same time appeals to me. Just using it with a trem equipped guitar where tuning one string changes the others seems like a perfect solution.

• Members

(faster and more accurate than the Korg), which is $130 (and a strobe tuner).

This covers it. The Korg is big and bright, but no strobe function. The Polytune is pretty neat and has a strobe function. The Turbo tuber is a full strobe and I'd expect it to be the most precise.

I've had the Pitch Black for a while and got the Polytune recently. Like them both, but for checking intonation, the Polytune is obviously slightly more precise.

For a dedicated live tuner, I think I still prefer the Pitch Black.

• Members

If someone had asked this a week ago, I'd have said the Boss TU-2 (well, it's actually the TU-3 now), but now it'd be the Polytune from T.C. Electronics. A single strum shows you which strings need adjustment, go to tune a given string and the display converts to an LED-simulated needle for that string. Built like a tank, and true bypass. It's the same price as the TU-3, at $99.

Archived