Buy or build??

jr_vw2

• Members

So as my other post stated...I am really gassing for a Tele. However my "ideal" tele would be hard to come by. I want a transparent white with Black pickguard , ebony fingerboard, humbuker bridge and lipstick neck pickups.

Would I be better off trying to find one that is close to this and just change the things that I desire or would it be wiser to just build from scratch?? Thanks guys

• Members

With out knowing your skills, tools, shop space, inclination to DIY, etc, it's hard to tell you...plus, how "factory" do you want the end result. Some people that DIY are perfectly happy to have an end result that looks rather rough.

That's an entirely subjective question...

• Members

With out knowing your skills, tools, shop space, inclination to DIY, etc, it's hard to tell you...plus, how "factory" do you want the end result. Some people that DIY are perfectly happy to have an end result that looks rather rough.

That's an entirely subjective question...

Skills tools supplies are not the issue. Neither is quality, I built a P-bass last year and it looked factory. I am very anal about my gear so I wont build one unless I can build it perfect.

• Members

Skills tools supplies are not the issue. Neither is quality, I built a P-bass last year and it looked factory. I am very anal about my gear so I wont build one unless I can build it perfect.

In that case it should be an easy question to answer :)

• Members

I want a transparent white with Black pickguard , ebony fingerboard, humbuker bridge and lipstick neck pickups.

Its going to be hard to find a mod candidate with most of those specs. Seems like you are confident in your skill set, so jump in and build her.

• Members

Build, hands down. Way more fun
:rawk:

This. And you already know it will cost you more than finding a close candidate to modify. If you're willing to go with a SD Little '59 or similar tele size humbucker you may be able to find a body real cheap on Da Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Unfinished-Tele-Replacement-Body_W0QQitemZ370349317601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item563a8a1de1

Something like this maybe? Took me all of 3 minutes to find this and get back here.

• Members

Yeah I am more interested in getting what I want rather than trying to save money. I will still look for the best deals that I can. But in the end I want it to be the way I want it.

Starting to collect my parts now....:rawk:

Archived