School me on Jazzmasters

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

So I am now in the market for a Jazzmaster. However, I do not wish to pay an incredible amount. I refuse to go over $1,000, but I would like to stay at a lower price than that.

I noticed there are several versions. In America there seem to be the MIM classic player series, and the '62 reissues. I have noticed on eBay the CIJ guitars as well. Are the CIJ guitars the ones to go with? I have read that they are as good if not better than the '62 reissues, and are far cheaper. What are the '66 RI CIJ guitars about anyway?

How can I get one with block inlays? They are my favorite, aesthetically.

I noticed that Takaakira Goto (Mono)'s Jazzmaster has dot inlays, but a neck binding as well? I know he has a mid to late 90's Jazzmaster made in Japan, but I have been unable to find any other guitar like it.

Any other information about Jazzmasters would be great.

Thanks

• Members

I have a reissue CIJ 66 Jaguar. Basically the 66 reissues are more about the block inlays on the neck. Also, I think the neck profile is different from the '62s. Now with regards to the '66 Reissue CIJ Jazzmaster, they are pretty good, with one caveat - the pickups really aren't Jazzmaster pickups. What they are, is basically a variation of a strat pickup (tall and slim), in a Jazzmaster pickup cover. So, while they may sound good to you, they don't sound too much like a regular Jazzmaster pickup, which is short and fat like this Curtis Novak, Jazzmaster pickup (which is very popular):

jm-v.jpg

So, oftentimes, people will buy the CIJ Jazzmaster if they can get a good deal on it, and replace the pickups with more Jazzmaster-like pickups.

The '66 Reissues were discontinued recently. But if you shop around, you can still find them. Most of the online places that have any left, are asking like $1250 for them, but there are places out there selling them for $800 or less, if you're patient, and do some looking.

• Members

I really like the J Mascis Jazzmaster. However you either love or hate the color. The neck is to die for. Satin finished with jumbo frets and a TOM bridge. The Japanese Jazzmasters tend to be nice but IMO need a pickup change upon buying one. I'm not a huge fan of the standard bridge on a Jazzmaster either.

• Members

I have a reissue CIJ 66 Jaguar. Basically the 66 reissues are more about the block inlays on the neck. Also, I think the neck profile is different from the '62s. Now with regards to the '66 Reissue CIJ Jazzmaster, they are pretty good, with one caveat - the pickups really aren't Jazzmaster pickups. What they are, is basically a variation of a strat pickup (tall and slim), in a Jazzmaster pickup cover. So, while they may sound good to you, they don't sound too much like a regular Jazzmaster pickup, which is short and fat like this Curtis Novak, Jazzmaster pickup (which is very popular):

jm-v.jpg

So, oftentimes, people will buy the CIJ Jazzmaster if they can get a good deal on it, and replace the pickups with more Jazzmaster-like pickups.

The '66 Reissues were discontinued recently. But if you shop around, you can still find them. Most of the online places that have any left, are asking like $1250 for them, but there are places out there selling them for $800 or less, if you're patient, and do some looking.

Just saw the '66 RI myself.

I only knew about the CC and stupidly expensive '62s.

I am sure a 66 would sound GREAT with even regular Duncan after market jobbies :

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/vintage/sjm1_vintage_fo/ - vintage low out put.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sjm2_hot_for_ja/ - hotter than vintage.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sjm3_quarterpou/ - really HOT.

" High output true single-coil. Recommended for blues, classic rock, garage, heavy rock, classic metal and nu-metal. "

• Members

Archived