do mahogany superstrats

Still.ill

• Members

I agree- you'll probably get more bottom end and warmth, but still Strat- Like.

Now when you put a Humbucker in the bridge or wire one H-S-H, still won't sound like an SG but woods like Mahogany or Koa on 25.5" Scale Superstrats still sound bright with single coil modes but the Humbucker Sounds are beefier-so the warmer woods are more versatile on Superstrats- in my opinion.

When you stick a humbucker on a Mahogany or Koa Strat you might not get an SG- but it won't sound like a Strat in humbucker mode-it will resemble other guitars , single coil still sounds like Strat..

Humbucker on an Alder Strat not as fat and round.

• Members

Even if you have a mahogany body, still have the 25.5" scale, maple necks (usually), and many superstrats have Floyds. All of those things make superstrats sound and feel very different.

Maybe if you have a 24.75, mahogany body and neck superstrat with a tune-o-matic though.

• Members

If you want the SG sound buy one. My mahogany HSS Strat sounds like a HSS Strat. Not even close to SG,Les Paul or even my Wilshire. Actually it sounds more like my Melody Maker but that is because of the MM single coil pickup. Guitars are a lot like cars they might look kinda sorta alike in the basics 4 wheels,windows, doors blah blah but,there is a huge difference in feel,speed, handling and a billion other things and they are all still a car.

• Members

I wonder how it would sound if you mounted a burstbucker directly to the wood. that might get you in the ballpark

I don't think so. My ibanez has both humbuckers mounted into the mahogany and sounds nothing like an SG. They're not burstbuckers but they are alnico

• Members

This sounds nothing like an SG. Lot's of factors are the reason. Bridge style, neck style, scale length, neck angle, body depth and size, etc.

3-1-10%202.jpg
3-1-10.jpg

That thing looks pretty sweet! I am considering doing a Warmoth that is kind of similar.

Which bridge is that?

• Members

That thing looks pretty sweet! I am considering doing a Warmoth that is kind of similar.

Which bridge is that?

Thanks. That is a from-scratch, but warmoth can offer the same options with binding and all of that.

That is just a gotoh hardtail. I prefer the hipshot's a little more, but I have a bunch of gotoh's in the shop, so I'm using them up

Archived