Odd vintage bodies: why don't they make them like this anymore?

turnip

• Members

kay%20brown.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

69TEISCO335SB_1_.jpg

ICHIBAN.jpg

TEISCO-BILDER-h1-007.jpg

These are so sweet. Somebody needs to start remaking these cheaply, but well. Every once in a while Eastwood pops something similar out (see their Ichiban copy) but these old Kays and Teiscos rock! So much more oompf than a basic Strat/Tele/LP/SG body.

• Members

I am always confused why Chevrolet/GM does just make the 1957 Chevy again. They would sell like hotcakes.

Sure you could use a modern engine, modern safety features etc...Just malke the car LOOK like a 1957 Chevy, 1967 Corvette, 1959 Cadillac ETC.....

Same idea. Why do new cars always have to look like CRAP compared to the vintage GEMS?

• Members

I am always confused why Chevrolet/GM does just make the 1957 Chevy again. They would sell like hotcakes.

Sure you could use a modern engine, modern safety features etc...Just malke the car LOOK like a 1957 Chevy, 1967 Corvette, 1959 Cadillac ETC.....

Same idea. Why do new cars always have to look like CRAP compared to the vintage GEMS?

SERIOUSLY! I would buy a late 60's Mustang or Corvettein a heartbeat! The new ones are fugly. :(

• Members

I love stuff like that. The problem is, while some were built great, some are actually basically just cool-looking bodies and interesting-sounding pickups... and that's about it. The build quality sucks and it's a lot of work, if it's possible at all, to get them playing in tune.

However, I have...

kay1.jpg

9ft94l.png

And...

1z32gwm.jpg

• Members

Marketing. Strat, Tele, LP and SG are hallmarks of the bidness. That's why you see copies of them and not much else. Manufacturers want something that will actually sell. It aint rocket surgery. Or brain science.

• Members

The problem is, while some were built great, some are actually basically just cool-looking bodies and interesting-sounding pickups... and that's about it. The build quality sucks and it's a lot of work, if it's possible at all, to get them playing in tune.

This is the best explanation. I've seen a lot of {censored} like that when I was younger, and almost all of it wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell.

• Members

The Kay in that first pic ROCKS!! I mean, look at it: Block inlays, that cool "swooping" pickguard with the toggle way up there and separate T & V controls; nice carve on the body, a subtle burst, that nifty pseudo-Bigsby, and those pickups that closely resemble the Joe Maphis single-coils from the 1965 Carvin catalog! What's not to like?? 'cept for maybe the plastic tuner buttons......

• Members

I've thought the same thing. Doesn't cost any more sheet metal to make a car look cool does it?

AM

Archived