How long does a custom neck from Warmoth take...

rakester

• Members

My last neck took 5-6 weeks to build. And when I got the neck it was wrong. Nothing too big, mostly cosmetic stuff, and Warmoth made up for the error. But still, when you are paying $250 for a neck, and then wait 5-6 weeks, you expect it to be right. The worst part was, they admitted the error was theirs, but if I wanted a new neck (to my specs) it would be another 5-6 weeks. In the end I kept the neck, because despite not being cosmetically what I wanted, it was a great feeling and playing neck. I would buy from Warmoth again, but probably out of their showcase, so I know exactly what I getting.

• Members

I forgot to add that I ordered my neck during the holiday last last year, so that probably added to the wait, but I'm pretty sure when custom ordering a neck they quote you at least 4 weeks build time. That's without finish.

• Members

I ordered a custom Jazzmaster neck from them on 2/22...and I'm still waiting. The confirmation email said the wait was 5-6 weeks for unfinished items.

{censored}, if I had it to do over, I would have ordered an express neck from Musikraft. It's only 40-50 bucks more and they don't ream you for features like custom radius, nut width, etc.

• Members

I ordered a neck from the 'neck builder' on their site on 3/11.

It shipped on 3/16 and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, 3/23.

This was not an in stock neck but it is unfinished. The finish adds time.

Update:

Mine just arrived. 12 days from order to delivery.

When I ordered they said it would ship in 7 to 10 days so they were a little ahead of schedule.

The neck looks and feels great. Now I have to get to work finishing it.

• Members

What type of finish are you doing Pete?

I have a bottle of Tru-Oil and a can of catalyzed lacquer. I was undecided on which to use until today.

I'm going with the lacquer just because I'm too impatient to wait on the Tru-Oil. The lacquer I have dries fast.

First I'm painting the headstock. It's gonna be Candy Red to match the body of the guitar it's going on.

It's getting a metallic silver base right now (first coat is drying) and the it gets transparent red after that.

Archived