Ebony board with only one inlay;......cant work out where I am!!! what to do!?!?

cavemanic

• Members

I've got a stephen carpenter sc607b 7 string baritone....its driving me NUTS trying to work out where I am as I never use the top markers only the ones on the fret board

what can I stick on? I did have some inlay stickers in the past

I'm playing the final fantasy prelude and its hell without markers :(

• Members

work out where the notes are without looking, it takes time and slows you down but it makes you a better player in the end.

I play and sing, so I don't have time to look at my hands.

It's a bad habit to develop and will hurt you in the long run.

• Members

Your better off not looking, although it may seem hard at first. It will improve your playing a lot. Speed, feel, accuracy etc... It's not really that hard.

If it has top markers, it's just getting used to it.

Please don't go messing up a beautiful ebony board with some dodgy markers.

• Members

work out where the notes are without looking, it takes time and slows you down but it makes you a better player in the end.

HA! I was playing bass yesterday and the jam was pretty loud. I thought that I was a little shakey and I wasn't looking at the neck trying to find the groove...then the singer pointed to my fretting hand with his headstock as he was playing guitar. I realized then that I was the dreaded 'one step out'. Brutal.

cavemanic - Doesn't the 'edge' of the fingerboard have the small dots?

• Members

HA! I was playing bass yesterday and the jam was pretty loud. I thought that I was a little shakey and I wasn't looking at the neck trying to find the groove...then the singer pointed to my fretting hand with his headstock as he was playing guitar. I realized then that I was the dreaded 'one step out'. Brutal.

cavemanic - Doesn't the 'edge' of the fingerboard have the small dots?

yeah it does but i've never been able to jive with that :idk:

I spend most of my time sitting and playing now days....maybe when I start a band again :idea:

I really should get off my ass and get better with it....also I'm recording singing/guitar individually obvious , coupled with the fact I'm looking at my fretboard to much.....I'll be in deep {censored} when i start playing live again :facepalm:

I even did a thread on how bad I sucked now standing up compared to when I was in a band :facepalm:

• Members

I've got a stephen carpenter sc607b 7 string baritone....its driving me NUTS trying to work out where I am as I never use the top markers only the ones on the fret board

what can I stick on? I did have some inlay stickers in the past

I'm playing the final fantasy prelude and its hell without markers
:(

:lol:

Start looking at the top markers? They're there for a reason. :poke:

My RG2127X only has a 12th fret marker, but I have no problems navigating around the fretboard on that. The problem is my Edwards with the ridiculous vine inlay. That damn vine actually throws me off. Takes my attention off the side markers, and then it also confuses the {censored} out of me coz the inlay doesn't in any way subtly mark which fret you're on. So while you might think they'd craftily put a flower thingy on the 12th fret, no, it's actually the {censored}ing 13th fret! :mad:

Blank fretboards are a piece of piss though. When I jump back to my UV (with its giant pyramids) after playing the RG2127X, it's feels like the guitar is taking the piss or something. "HERE IS WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FINGERS". :lol:

I believe your favourite musician (:lol:) Mikael Akerfeldt marks the edge of his fretboard with some kind of glow in the dark tape or something like that, so he can easily see where he is on stage while he sings. And if you're gonna be playing live again, I wouldn't get too used to being able to have your head down, looking at the face of the fretboard. Side markers and feel, bitch. :mad:

• Members

I had the same issues when i got my Schecter (only one marker on 12th) It takes time but you get used to it. I just got a couple new guitars and they have inlays on the board and now that is kind of messing with me. It is wierd at first but give it w couple weeks and I think you will enjoy it. as stated before it will make you a better player because it almost makes you not look at your hand.

• Members

I'm usually fine with just the side markers. Do you really look at the front markers? I don't think I EVER looked at the front markers.

I do have one lefty strung as a righty and not having the side markers is kind of a pisser, PLUS everything is thrown off because of it being a lefty so the horn is in the 'wrong' place. It has front markers right there, but I literally never look at the front markers.

• Members

I have several guitars with no markers, and I have no problem. The only time I look at it, I look at the small dots on the top of the neck.

Just imagine the crowd looking at you on stage with your face in your sack bent over staring at your guitar because you cant play normally :D Learn to not look!

• Members

Almost any decent luthier can inlay some small dots for you and it's not a hugely expensive job. If you like the guitar (and I understand they're nice guitars), then take it in and get it done.

This ... its not a huge deal for for an experienced luthier to add side dots.

• Members

You can get stickers on eBay for like $10 that look like inlays and will stay on your fretboard when you play. You can get dots or other designs. Just note to take your time getting the stickers in the exact spot bc otherwise it would look messy with crooked fret markers.

I

• Members

This man is right.

• Members

yeah i thought i would be lost without inlays but when i first picked up a guitar without them I realized that I actually look at the side dots 95% of the time and not the inlays- stop bending over so much, your back must be a wreck if you're using the inlays as a guide

• Members

Thats gotta hurt looking at the inlays on the board......

I only use the side dots, and even then, its just a occasional quick glance.... mostly for re-assurance I think.

I'm building a goofy-assed strat clone that is gonna have LED side markers... ( they are done and in now) just because, no other reason. But I think they are gonna actually mess me up, the more I start "looking and thinking" about it, the more I'm gonna blow it mid song.....

Archived