New Loaned Bass Day! (vintage Fender content)

sxyryan

• Members

Some of you may remember me asking questions on how to read bass charts and some pointers on playing in a jazz band. It is going great, and I'm starting to feel really comfortable holding down the band.

I just picked up a Classic Vibe 50's P bass, and have been using that in class. It kicks all kinds of butt, but the teacher insisted that Squiers can't compete with Fenders :facepalm:. He gave me this today, on loan from the school.

0323002128a.jpg

0323002101.jpg

0323002129.jpg

0323002129a.jpg

downsized_0323002128.jpg

• Members

When I got my hands on it, it looked like it hadn't been used in a long time.

After talking to the Director of Bands here (the dude in charge, for the most part), it was in the shop last year and the "tech" said there is something wrong with the neck. I have found most places colleges and high schools take their instruments to places that are great with winds, and not so much with fretted instruments.

The action was about 1/2 an inch at the 12th fret, the low e would rattle against the pickup cover if plucked a little too hard, and the jack was touchy.

After about half an hour of setup, including a healthy shim and a couple twists of the truss rod, it's playing much nicer. A very comfortable action, although I would like it a touch lower. I will need to do a fret dress on it to get it super low, but its very playable now.

The pickup is an EMG select. I'm assuming this is aftermarket? It sounds great. Very dark and woody.

Here is the kicker: Compared to my Squier P bass, I'm am reaffirmed in my opinion of the CV series. This Fender has a better taper on the controls, and has the vintage cool factor, but my Squier is just as good of a guitar.

• Members

It currently has round wounds. I prefer flats myself, so if I continue playing it, it will get a set. But I'm thinking I will continue playing my Squier. They play about the same, maybe a little better in the Squier, because it's new. The Squier has a bit of a brighter tone. We play a funk tune that sounds really nice with a bright, poppy tone.

Archived