Piano Players...

holden_caufield9

• Members

Trying to teach myself piano but every time I find a song I want to lean I can only find the lead sheets. i.e. the bass line w/ the lyrics played out on the melody. Any suggestions on how to actually find the music to songs the way they are played?

Also, any suggestions on where to really start would be a huge help b/c i'm a super noob when it comes to piano and i read music super slow...

Does it make sense to learn it like you do guitar? i.e. learn the basic chords and get them down and expand from there?

• Members

I just learn the songs from the chords. Learn how to do maj min and 7th chords for every note and then take it from there. Tha gets you the basic frame of the song. Learning note by note from sheet music takes me forever and I just don't have any patience if a song takes me more than 20 minutes to learn. Ad... something. ;)

• Members

i'm self taught... i just kinda worked out some chords and scales (when i say scales... i mean stuff that just seemed to fit) and went from there

i'd do things like finger a chord on guitar... then play those notes on a keyboard

but i was more into coming up with stuff than playing other people's songs

• Members
I just learn the songs from the chords. Learn how to do maj min and 7th chords for every note and then take it from there. Tha gets you the basic frame of the song. Learning note by note from sheet music takes me forever and I just don't have any patience if a song takes me more than 20 minutes to learn. Ad... something.
;)

I think this is the best option for me. Make the chord on the bass side, mirror it a few octaves up, and start arpegiating etc to get a feel for what works and doesnt work.

Archived