Ibanez artcores, anyone?

zooLemon

• Members

Ideally, if I were getting another guitar soon it would be a Tele, but I just joined another band (not the one in my sig) where the other guitar player plays one and I need something darker sounding because his tone is so bright. I've got my eye on one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AS73-Electric-Guitar?sku=519454

I played one of them in Guitar Center a couple weeks ago but only briefly. Didn't get a good judge of the sound, but I liked the feel. Anyone have any opinions? I'm assuming the stock pickups are probably meh, but it looks like a good deal otherwise. Because of the neck, if nothing else, I think I'd take this over a Dot at the same price point.

• Members

I had one a little bit bigger than that one. It was definitely a decent guitar. No structural issues. Felt solid, nice neck, no fret issues at all. Maybe not the best pickups, but not horrible.

Of all the Artcores and Epi Dots I've played, I almost always prefer how the Ibanez feel.

• Members

I had one a little bit bigger than that one. It was definitely a decent guitar. No structural issues. Felt solid, nice neck, no fret issues at all. Maybe not the best pickups, but not horrible.

Of all the Artcores and Epi Dots I've played, I almost always prefer how the Ibanez feel.

Agreed. IMO

Artcores > Dots

• Members

I have the exact same one that appears in your link, and it has long been my go-to guitar. It's well built and comfortable. The pickups could be better, but they're not bad. I'm not aware of another semi-hollow with as much quality for the money.

• Members

I play an AK85 which I love to death. GREAT necks on the artcores. The pick ups are a bit meh, but I replaced mine with GFS retrotrons and I love the way it sounds now. The AKs are full hollow jazz boxes with a rosewood floating bridge instead of a metal one. I'm sure you'll be able to get the tones you're looking for, though.

• Members

Here's mine, an AG75 BS1201:

ibanez_ag75.jpg

Got this on ebay for $86. Broken heastock, no truss rod cover or pickguard. Some sanding and painting took care of the headstock and a $13 piece of plastic from StewMac + a Gibson LP pickguard mount from GC and there it is.

I'm no pickup connoisseur but I have no issues with whatever's on it - they don't feedback and sound good to me with or without distortion.

One thing, and I don't know if it's the same with all Artcore's, but on mine, the bridge is NOT mounted on the body. So if I pull of all the strings, then I have redo the intonation.

• Members

I was completely in love with my AS73 for a long time, then I just sort of drifted away from it. I just recently tried to sell it and, I dunno, I just couldn't let it go :) I'm sure I'll fall in love with it again sooner or later. I do the same with all of my guitars.

You're right about one thing though, definitely a darker sound. There's no way around the bottom end on that thing. That can be either inspiring or annoying depending on the type of music I'm playing.

As for comfort, it's the most comfortable guitar I own. Very sturdy & solid feel to it and I really like the neck. Some don't, some prefer a chunky neck, but I like it.

• Members
fretfire.jpg

AS73 - bought around '04. Pickups are a little mellow for headbanging - good for jazz, blues - probably different stock pups now. Excellent guitar. Returned a Dot that cost $100 more and bought the 'Neezer - way better.

Archived