anyone here familiar with the Ozarks?

tlbonehead

• Members

from a visiting/vaca point of view? I know, its off-topic. What's the most popular hillbilly guitar??? there. (I'm guessing Washburn)

I used to live in Arkansas for quite a while. The Ozarks are beautiful.

As far as hillbilly guitars, you'll see a lot of cheap 80's knockoffs in the pawnshops.

• Members

Well, Eureka Springs IS a cool town, but it is also pretty touristy. Mt. Home a bit less so.

Both, however, are beautiful, and in beautiful areas. Smallish towns...easyto get out into nature. I lived near the 'zarks for many years and spent a lot of time there.

The main things that keep me from considering that area as a place to live are the {censored}ing satanic summer heat & humidity
and the fact that there is just not a city big enough and close by enough.

don't forget about he state bird.

the mosquito!!!!!!

• Members

Definitely float the Buffalo River. I just went down to Jasper weekend before last and hiked down into and out of Hemmed in Hollow. I'm lucky I only live a couple of hours away. The Spring and Mulberry rivers are great, too. It's funny you mention Washburns. I have one and the singer in our band has one.

• Members
Definitely float the Buffalo River. I just went down to Jasper weekend before last and hiked down into and out of Hemmed in Hollow. I'm lucky I only live a couple of hours away. The Spring and Mulberry rivers are great, too. It's funny you mention Washburns. I have one and the singer in our band has one.

they were pretty popular in their day, especially with the flat-pickers/bluegrassers. Same with their banjos.

• Members

But brought back a bad case of TICKS and CHIGGERS!

I was there in the summer of 1971. I had just graduated high school and some friends who were hippie types were looking at an "organic" farm that was for sale. That's a whole 'nother story, anyway......

Went into the "Devil's Den" which is an underground cave in one of the parks. Later that day we went hiking somewhere else and we all got infested with chiggers! We spent the rest of that night picking them off with tweezers.

But despite that I loved it. Kind of reminded me of the Pocono mountains in Pennsylvania. Met all types of interesting people there too.

• Members

The bugs there are definitely epic, and are my only real bad memory of Arkansas (besides the educational system). I remember after a good rain how the tarantulas would come out and dry themselves off on the road. Hundreds of them.

And then there was our "neighbor" (he lived about 4 miles away) who kept wild hogs. They used to get out quite a bit, because you know - they were wild, and come onto our farm. My Dad was a hippie and didn't own a gun (probably the only guy in Mt. Home that didn't). Our other "neighbor" (about 5 miles away), Bob White was his name and he was an expert whittler and banjo player, had no such qualms about guns and was more than happy to shoot the wild hogs. This made our other "neighbor" pretty mad. It was an ongoing battle. Ah, the Ozarks.

Archived