anyone here familiar with the Ozarks?

tlbonehead

• Members

went up there a couple of years ago for vacation. Rented a cabin on a river. It was beautiful. Great fishing in crystal clear water. Hiking trails. Lots of deer and other wildlife. But brought back a bad case of TICKS and CHIGGERS! Didn't even know we had them until we got back home. Took almost a week to get rid of all the ticks and a couple of weeks to get rid of all the chiggers. And they've got lyme disease up there. So be careful and check yourself and your bed regularly. Took my ash SX tele with me :)

• Members
went up there a couple of years ago for vacation. Rented a cabin on a river. It was beautiful. Great fishing in crystal clear water. Hiking trails. Lots of deer and other wildlife. But brought back a bad case of TICKS and CHIGGERS! Didn't even know we had them until we got back home. Took almost a week to get rid of all the ticks and a couple of weeks to get rid of all the chiggers. And they've got lyme disease up there. So be careful and check yourself and your bed regularly. Took my ash SX tele with me
:)

what area did you ummm, take your ash Tele to?:) and what time of year?

• Members

I grew up in Mountain Home, Arkansas. It's one of the most beautiful, untouched parts of the country (or at least it was). I've been looking for an excuse to get back there. Plenty to do as long as you're into hunting, fishing, hiking or camping. Bluegrass is big down there. Lots of Martins, mainly.

• Members
I grew up in Mountain Home, Arkansas. It's one of the most beautiful, untouched parts of the country (or at least it was). I've been looking for an excuse to get back there. Plenty to do as long as you're into hunting, fishing, hiking or camping. Bluegrass is big down there. Lots of Martins, mainly.

someone else mentioned Mtn Home as a good choice also.

• Members

Well, Eureka Springs IS a cool town, but it is also pretty touristy. Mt. Home a bit less so.

Both, however, are beautiful, and in beautiful areas. Smallish towns...easyto get out into nature. I lived near the 'zarks for many years and spent a lot of time there.

The main things that keep me from considering that area as a place to live are the {censored}ing satanic summer heat & humidity and the fact that there is just not a city big enough and close by enough.

• Members

Hot Springs (not necessarily Ozarks) but fun and beautiful.

Eureka Springs is awesome with Beaver Lake and White River close by.

Mountain Home (Bull Shoals/Lake Norfork) is great and the lakes are as pristine as they come.

Hardy Arkansas with the Spring River. Lots of fun to be had there as well.

Buffalo River/Jasper, AR is some kind of nice if the river is up. The bluffs along that river are spectacular.

Just take some time and visit the northern half of the state as far east as Hardy.

Stay away from the southern half though, especially the southeastern corner (delta farmland).

• Members

Awesome area. Definitely check out the canoe trips. July and August get pretty hot and the rivers can get low that time of year too. June and September are my favorite times there.

I actually prefer things up on the Missouri side but that's preference. Tons of good music around. If you don't like the tourist stuff, shy away from Branson but there are a million "family" theaters that the locals use. That's where you find the good stuff. One of my favorites is the Plummer Family Theater about an hour or so south of St louis.

It's kinda kitschy but Chester, Il is the home of the creator of Popeye. More Popeye crap there than you can imagine.

My favorite spot is more around the Bourbon, MO area. Fantastic canoe and raft trips there on the Bourbeuse River and some others.

EG

• Members

My favorite spot is more around the Bourbon, MO area. Fantastic canoe and raft trips there on the Bourbeuse River and some others.

EG

Current River, Jack's Fork, Big Piney... and... There's a bunch. :thu:

I like floating that area myself but weekends floats on most of those rivers are as bad (or good ;) ) as the Party Cove. High traffic and a lot of beer consumed. ... Hope to make a trip like TOO this summer! :lol:

• Members

Oh, and you'll find the weather a little cooler a bit further north up on the MO side of the border. The humidity isn't quite so bad.

Agreed on the Lake of the Ozarks. That place is a madhouse. I used to live out on the west edge of St Louis on I70. Friday afternoons was a nonstop traffic jam of city folks headed west out to the lake.

EG

• Members

Mostly interested in the actual mother nature aspect of the area.

Bennett Spring State Park is real nice. The spring feeds the Niangua river, which is a great river for canoeing. Used to go down there regularly for family reunion type things but I haven't been there in quite a few years.

• Members

Forget Lake Of the Ozarks unless you are a boater & party animal.

Mountan Home is a sleepy little town of retirees including my mom. Nearby Lake Norfolk is a beauty and worth renting a boat or pontoon boat to cruise around and take in the views.

Gaston's Resort in Lakeview is a half hour's ride from Mtn. Home and has a beautiful view of the White River from a glassed-in dining room that cantilevers out over the river. Definitely a great lunch or early dinner spot. You can take fly fishing lessons, rent a canoe or hire a guide and go trout fishing.

Blanchard Springs Cavern and the Blanchard Springs Recreational Area is pretty cool and the drive is stunning as you go right through the Ozark National Forest to get there.

To the south there is Mountain View with the Ozark Cultural Center and artist's community. Good bluegrass music, arts and crafts and dulcimer makers.

Eureka Springs has a turn of the century look with lots of antique shops and bed and breakfast inns. They also have a working narrow gauge steam train that does excursions into the Ozark forest to a roundhouse where it turns around and goes back. The train station was used in the filming of the mini-series North and South (before Kirstie Ally became such a "big" star).

Branson is still worth a trip. Table Rock Lake and Lake Taneycomo are on the way and are gorgeous spots with great lake trout fishing. Branson of course has all the music theaters, a rodeo and also Silver Dollar City (a hillbilly style Six Flags) which is nestled in the Ozark hillsides and nicely wooded and shaded. It is heavy on Ozark crafts and you'll see gunsmiths, candlemakers, wood carvers, quilters (yawn) and soapmakers in period garb at work.

Sorry to sound like the Arkansas board of tourism, but I've been going there for 20+ years.

Archived