Acoustic Electric Guitar recommendations

dres_x

• Members

Looking for an acoustic electric guitar...really looking for best value so no set price range...obviously the cheaper the better but best value is more important :)

I would be using it unplugged, plugged clean sounds, and plugged with slight overdrive I think.

Please give me some suggestions!

• Members

You're going to use overdrive on your acoustic?

It'll be really prone to feedback with anything more than just a hint of overdrive.

I actually don't know what all's out there right now, but I know that I was given this advice about 15 years ago by my guitar teacher.

Play every guitar in your price range. Buy the one you like the best, regardless of whether it has electronics built in. You can always add a pickup or a piezo to the guitar. Often on the low end of things, the electronics aren't all that great to begin with.

• Members

Have to also chime in, and agree, you will almost always get a lot better guitar for your money buying an non electric model and install your own electronics........Unless you fall into a really good used deal on an A/e model that you happen to fall in love with.

• Members

Holy{censored}, that was awesome! Sounded like Primus being played on a guitar. Wish the vocals were recorded a bit better though. Couldn't understand a damn thing she was sayin'.

Are you looking at acoustic electrics exclusively? You could probably get a similar sound to the vid using a semi-hollow (with or without a piezo bridge) and have less feedback issues. If you find an acoustic that you like without electronics, JJB has some fairly cheap DIY pickups.

• Members

How much does installing your own electronics usually cost?

It depends on what kind of electronics you get.

Some pickups just clip on to the sound hole. Some go under the saddle, and some actually require some cutting on the body.

They range in price from probably $30-$40 to several hundred dollars, depending on what you get.

• Members

Acoustic necks vary a lot. If you prefer an electric guitar style neck, check out Ibanez. If you like the regular acoustic necks, Seagull makes some fantastic guitars at a terrific price and they have some of the best electronics available.

Epiphone and Yamaha make some nice ones too. For unplugged sound, try to get a solid top. It makes more difference than any other single factor.

But with acoustics especially, go play them. Don't get hung up on the size of it either. To my ears, grand concert, 00 and 000 sizes have some of the sweetest sounds around. Dreads project well but the sound lacks a lot to my ears.

I picked up this Ibby 00 (no electronics) fro $200 and it sounds terrific. Mahogany back and sides, mahogany neck, solid spruce top, real maple binding. :love:

HPIM0686.jpg

100_0139.jpg

EG

• Members

Holy{censored}, that was awesome! Sounded like Primus being played on a guitar. Wish the vocals were recorded a bit better though. Couldn't understand a damn thing she was sayin'.

Are you looking at acoustic electrics exclusively? You could probably get a similar sound to the vid using a semi-hollow (with or without a piezo bridge) and have less feedback issues. If you find an acoustic that you like without electronics,
JJB has some fairly cheap DIY pickups

lol...it's actually a japanese dude. he's got some really neat tunes tho, check out the intro to this song, one of my faves!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I'm kinda looking at this ovation on sale @ MF at the moment but wondering what other options there are

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-CS347FKOA-Celebrity-Deluxe-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513275&CJAID=10383227&CJPID=1225267

321719.jpg

• Members

Ovations are terrific stage guitars. Unplugged, not so much.

EG

Agreed, though I have played a few that sounded pretty good acoustically.

Of course, my #1 acoustic guitar is by all accounts a POS. Laminated top, back, and sides, 15 year old Korean made. I sanded the thick black finish off it about 10 years ago and actually sanded through some of the lamination on the top, so I just glued the bridge back on and have played it like that ever since.

It looks like hell, but I'll be damned if it doesn't play and sound great.

POSSmall.jpeg

• Members

depends how much money you spend....

with acoustic guitars you tend to get more for your money the more you spend..... the woods used, the bracing pattern used by that company... all equate to huge differences in tone....

I also disagree about getting a regular acoustic and mounting your own electronics if what you really want is an acoustic electric. You wont save much if any money.... good preamps and pickup systems are expensive, and many fair priced acoustic electrics come with good systems....

as well, most acoustic electrics have a cutaway, not many acoustics do....

I play a lot of acoustic, and I could give you many recommendations, but I would need a price range...

for stage use acoustic electric with a good unplugged tone.... I'd go (and have multiple times) with MIJ Takamine.... something with a solid spruce top will only sound better with age

Archived