Latin music appreciation

Eddie

• Members

there's a great documentary on all the time either on pbs or kcet,about the chicano music scene from the 50's etc. here in Los Angeles very cool and interesting,lots of great songs that have come out of the time,it's worth checking out!!:thu:

Fabulous series. They did a great job of documenting the development Latin music in the US. I was really please with the coverage that they gave Mario Bauza and the Mambo era.

One of my Dad's claims to fame was that he was a mambo (the dance) king when he was a youth. Mom says she only married him because he was such a good dancer. This particular dance craze was waning when I was a child but I still remember riding the EL in Brooklyn and going by a building which sported the title Brooklyn Mambo Ballroom. A testament to an era. When I was a teenager, the popular latin dance was Pachanga. Needless to say, I grew up listening to Latin music on heavy old vinyl records. The musicianship was and still is outstanding in Latin music. When I was living in New York, you could still go to clubs in Manhattan to enjoy an incredibly rich latin jazz scene.

I'm watching the documentary now. Just from the first two chapters, I am taken back to my youth. I can see my grandparents and parties at their apartment with this rich gripping music always playing in the background. Being both a native of Brooklyn NY and a hispanic, I realize it would be impossible to understand who I am musically and as a person without an understanding of the growth of Latin jazz as portrayed in this documentary.

When you think of the music we enjoy playing today, we have to understand how much a part music played in bringing the diverse worlds of black people, hispanics and white European and American people together.

It was the magnet that drew us together and the glue that bonded us, making it possible to bridge the cultural divide between us.

Jazz, blues, latin music and americana mixed together to create new relationships that might never have been possible without the commonality of the music scale.

Archived