crappy copy

amplifier1110

• Members

I've never played or heard a spectrum so I'm not familiar with it but you might get more help if you describe what parts don't sound good to you.

Like, does it have buzzing notes, do the pickups not work in the way you'd like, are the electronics scratchy, does it go out of tune while you are playing it, those kinds of things.

• Members

what exactly crappy about it? do you view it as crappy just because it is cheap? or is the fret work bad? does it not stay in tune? or is it just cheap hardware on a good body/neck?

well my parents got it from a walmart to my suprise and how do i set it up myself?

• Members

I would say don't waste your money trying to upgrade this piece of crap. I think Walmart sells a brand called Silvertone, my guess they are all made in the same crappy Chinese factory, using the lowest quality metal and wood available.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/persistentgiftshop/forkids/PRD~394061/Spectrum+Electric+Guitar+Pack.jsp

• Members

The whole kit w. guitar and upgrades is $129.00 from this ebay seller, so it can't be much of a guitar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strat-Style-Guitar-Kit-Blackie-Entwistle-Active-Circuit_W0QQitemZ350321150538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5190c48a4a

Ask your parents to take it back and get you a Squier Strat. That would be the best place to start. Even an Affinity or Bullet series would be huge upgrade.

• Members

well my parents got it from a walmart to my suprise and how do i set it up myself?

Don't lose hope. Many, if not most, musicians start out with an instrument of dubious quality. Look at it as a potential to learn and not have an expensive mistake right off the bat.

Surprisingly the guitar is a complex instrument and proper set up can make a medicore instrument a great instrument and the converse is true as well. Generally a set up includes things like ensuring the truss rod is properly adjusted, the strings are at a usable height, the intonation is properly adjusted, the tremolo, if equipped, is set properly for the full range of motion, the pickups are adjusted to provide the best sound, and several other items.

Your first item on the agenda should be to research guitar set up procedures. This is something you can do yourself but you may not get it right the first time around. The way you play your guitar has a lot to do with how you like it set up. For example if you use a slide on a regular basis you'll want to modify the set up from someone who doesn't. It is often a trial and error period finding your perfect setup and it may take you months, years, or even the rest of your life finding the perfect setup.

Start by reading some set up guidelines. Fender has a few, here is the one for their strat products. http://fender.com/support/stratocaster_setup_guide.php Read through it. Google the terms you don't know or understand. Google other set up guides and read until you feel comfortable getting out the tools. Make small adjustments. Bigger is not better when you are dealing with things that could damage your entire guitar (thinking truss rod adjustment here) so use caution at all steps.

After you have started this process and are getting a better set up on your guitar you'll have gained some experience with the process and though your guitar may never sound as great as you want you'll, at the very least, have the confidence and ability to set up your next, possibly much better, guitar.

Archived