Tool fans- check out this cover.

lp_junkie

• Members

huge tool fan here. (see username).

as primarily a drummer and HUGE fan of danny carey ... the time was ... uh ... yeah. A LOT of time issues in this recording. a lot seemed very, very rushed.

vocals ... just didn't bring it. in many points, felt lazy ... or forced, at best.

if you're going to do a cover that's trying to be straight off the original ... you have to do it as good if not better than the original. trying to do that with a tool song is going to be damn near impossible.

i figure in a typical gig situation, it'd come across if the audience is there. but as a recording ... yall could do much better.

• Members

huge tool fan here. I felt the vocals were distracting and not quite there. Drummer needs to fall back a bit and find the groove, it felt rushed and at points off, and with tool, Danny is a big part of the sound. the problem with tool is that you need to hit it out of the park or not do it at all...they are a tough band to cover unless you do something totally different with it. Nice try though.

• Members

Cool that was like the 3rd or 4th time we played it.

We listened to it a few times and definitely agree that it is a tough song to pull off, much more work needed on it.

I think if we play it more the groove will fall in place, the others have read your comments and we pretty much agree with all the points brought up here. It was a stretch for us which is why we did it, the drummer and I'd never heard the song until about 4 days ago.

• Members

Pretty good overall for a new tune. I totally agree that the drummer needs to work on his timing though. Strings sounded fine, voice was ok. The hardest thing about covering tool is the Drums and vocals so it is understandable. Danny and Maynard definitely leave some pretty big shoes to be filled.

I would recommend you guys maybe trying another tune off of Opiate. Part of me is a good tune that is pretty easy to get everyone in the tool groove. Just my 2 cents

• Members

I give anyone props who attempts to cover a Tool song. I try not to put them on a pedestal, but I think it's almost impossible to cover them if you're trying to replicate the original. Of course, I would probably say that about just about any band.

I would definitely like to hear you guys take this song in your own direction...make it yours so to speak.

Two examples of cover songs that I think really hit the mark are Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower and, incidentally, Tool's cover of No Quarter by Zeppelin. This is because they changed the songs so dramatically that they weren't really competing with the original artist. I mean, how are you going to improve on a Led Zeppelin song?

My comments may not be helpful because I'm not a huge fan of cover songs, as you can probably tell. Obviously there are a lot of people who take joy in trying to recreate a song with their own band...and I'm not trying to come down on that at all.

I would agree with the other technical criticisms and say keep at it, whatever your goal is. Sure, there is a lot of elusive stuff that needs work, but you have a lot right, too. I'd like to hear it if you do it again.

• Members

One of my favorite Tool songs of all time. Kudos.

Sounded very good for it being in the early stages of getting it down, once you all find the groove together on it and your drummer is able to bring it to a more comfortable tempo it will be badass.

Vocals sounded like they just needed some effects or something to thicken it a bit and give a little reverb. Do you have a dedicated singer or is someone singing while playing another instrument. If I were trying to do anything Maynard does I'd want to have my whole attention on just the singing.

• Members

One of my favorite Tool songs of all time. Kudos.

Sounded very good for it being in the early stages of getting it down, once you all find the groove together on it and your drummer is able to bring it to a more comfortable tempo it will be badass.

Vocals sounded like they just needed some effects or something to thicken it a bit and give a little reverb. Do you have a dedicated singer or is someone singing while playing another instrument. If I were trying to do anything Maynard does I'd want to have my whole attention on just the singing.

Bass player is singing, we are a 3 pc, it's tough song but a good challenge.

• Members

for everyone saying that the vocals were lacking too much, i would think that Maynard would be very hard to copy. his voice is very smooth and he still has the great ability to scream in such a way that it doesnt really lose its smoothness.

it did seem pretty rushed. but it wasnt too bad.

Archived