Intonation problem

Blahbbs

• Members

I'm relatively new to the guitar adjustment thing, but I'm trying to get in there and learn how to do it.

Anywhoo, I was adjusting the intonation on my relatively new guitar (SX Hawk w/ the GFS upgraded import trem) by tuning the open string then checking the tuning of the string 12th fret and adjusting the saddles accordingly.

That seemed to work just great on all the strings, but I'm still having some problems on the low E string. The string is still pretty sharp up at the 12th fret, but I've got the saddle practically pulled back as far as the adjustment screw will take it.

Other than "dude, you bought a $100 guitar, what did you expect?" do y'all have any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

• Members

I don't think the bridge placement on SX guitars is all that accurate.
I had an SX tele and had to do as bryvincent descibes to get it to intonate.
Also be sure to have new strings on the guitar before trying to set the intonation and not the crappy strings it came with.
Old, cheap strings can really mess with intonation.

• Members

Every guitarist should own Dan Erlewine's "The Guitar Player Repair Guide - 3rd Edition"

Every guitarist.

There is no excuse.

It's under $20 at Amazon.

It covers everything, including a lot of stuff you'll probably never do yourself, but at least now you'll understand how it's done.

• Members

Every guitarist should own Dan Erlewine's
"The Guitar Player Repair Guide - 3rd Edition"

Every guitarist.

There is no excuse.

It's under $20 at Amazon.

It covers everything, including a lot of stuff you'll probably never do yourself, but at least now you'll understand how it's done.

Why?

• Members

I'm relatively new to the guitar adjustment thing, but I'm trying to get in there and learn how to do it.

Anywhoo, I was adjusting the intonation on my relatively new guitar (SX Hawk w/ the GFS upgraded import trem) by tuning the open string then checking the tuning of the string 12th fret and adjusting the saddles accordingly.

That seemed to work just great on all the strings, but I'm still having some problems on the low E string. The string is still pretty sharp up at the 12th fret, but I've got the saddle practically pulled back as far as the adjustment screw will take it.

Other than "dude, you bought a $100 guitar, what did you expect?" do y'all have any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

If everything else is fine I wouldn't adjust the relief etc. And the slightly off intonation won't be noticeable until you play up on the higher frets.

• Members

Op...
1) Check the nut. If necessary... correct it.
2) Adjust the neck relief
3) Set the action /If it's a Strat style, adjust bridge as well
4) Adjust pup height
5) Last... set your intonation.

Intonation is always the last step.Everything else has to work correctly and in concert before setting the intonation.

• Members

Op...

1) Check the nut. If necessary... correct it.

2) Adjust the neck relief

3) Set the action /If it's a Strat style, adjust bridge as well

4) Adjust pup height

5) Last... set your intonation.

Intonation is always the
last
step.Everything else has to work correctly and in concert before setting the intonation.

I think the guitar's bridge is off. So the only way to correct it aside from getting another bridge would be to remove it and dowel rod the post holes and re-drill/refit it.

• Members

I think the guitar's bridge is off. So the only way to correct it aside from getting another bridge would be to remove it and dowel rod the post holes and re-drill/refit it.

Not too sure but I think the guitar the OP is referring to is a Strat style.

• Members

Not good advice so far, no soup for you HC.

Don't check the harmonic to the open string. Check it to the fretted note at the 12th, compare this to the 12 harmonic. Much more accurate way of doing it.

Once the guitar is in tune,

Fret the note at the 12th fret and compare that to the harmonic at the 12 (over the actual fret).

They should read the same, if not, you get problems.

(All on the 12th fret and 12th harmonic)

If the fretted pitch is higher then the harmonic, the string needs to be made longer.

You do this by tuning the screw on the saddle at the bridge.

If the fretted pitch is lower then the harmonic, the string needs to be shortened/ move the saddle towards the neck.

• Members

i needed a little more room on a tele before, so i took the spring out and it fixed the problem for me, i also lowered the saddle a tiny bit and it plays perfect now... which made me question why the springs are even there in the first place.

• Members

Not good advice so far, no soup for you HC.

Don't check the harmonic to the open string. Check it to the fretted note at the 12th, compare this to the 12 harmonic. Much more accurate way of doing it.

Once the guitar is in tune,

Fret the note at the 12th fret and compare that to the harmonic at the 12 (over the actual fret).

They should read the same, if not, you get problems.

(All on the 12th fret and 12th harmonic)

If the fretted pitch is higher then the harmonic, the string needs to be made longer.

You do this by tuning the screw on the saddle at the bridge.

If the fretted pitch is lower then the harmonic, the string needs to be shortened/ move the saddle towards the neck.

I think you missed the point of the question.

Archived