Lipstick pickups, Sound awesome!

Markymarc1979

• Members

...People who have the SD, what's the power like? I see they're only 4.3K which seems well low...

I have a calibrated set of Duncan SLS-1's in a Cort S400 that sound really nice.The bridge pickup is overwound and quite a bit hotter [spec wise] than the neck/mid pickups,though the SLS-1's still balance very well as a set.I find that rolling back the tone control [added Fender TBX tone circuit] with higher gain settings gives me a cool notched wah sound with the overwound bridge pickup.

Ed

• Members

I honestly don't know what dc resistance actually means. conventional wisdom is that moar = more hotter... but I've seen pickups that just sound normal that have insanely high resistance, and since I've gotten my multimeter I've been measuring stuff just for the {censored} of it, and my GFS fatbody neck (for sale BTW) measures at just 5k, but it sounds pretty bold, full, and loud to me. so I don't really think those numbers are the only thing that matters for output. or maybe they are and I'm insane. who knows.

• Members

I honestly don't know what dc resistance actually means. conventional wisdom is that moar = more hotter... but I've seen pickups that just sound normal that have insanely high resistance, and since I've gotten my multimeter I've been measuring stuff just for the {censored} of it, and my GFS fatbody neck (for sale BTW) measures at just 5k, but it sounds pretty bold, full, and loud to me. so I don't really think those numbers are the only thing that matters for output. or maybe they are and I'm insane. who knows.

Yeah, my FilterTrons are at about 4k, but are much hotter than my 7k single coils

• Members

A couple short ones...

[YOUTUBE]lzaWm2BJGCc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]en-k46Jmch8[/YOUTUBE]

and one really long one.

[YOUTUBE]14-7bIJcpbQ[/YOUTUBE]

Definitely bright and jangly, with a real icepick edge to the highs, but the bass has a cool quality too. I'd be curious whether any of that comes through with the GFS humbucker version, I'd like to try them but I was thinking of just hooking up one coil and not bothering with a switch.

• Members

what do these pickups sound like? I've never played with lipstick equipped geetar

Jangly, with an almost acoustic quality to them. But they take distortion very well; real nasty garage-rock vibe to them. Only example I can think off-hand is Led Zeppelin's 'Kashmir.'

Lipsticks sound incredible with an electric 12-string. I love my Dano 12! :love:

2756877900_9cebed2118.jpg

Note: not my guitar but mine's identical to this one.

Archived