Meat Loaf again?!?

Mr. Botch

• Members

I've been a fan of the "Classic Albums/the making of" series of DVDs, and I found two I didn't have yet last week: Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell. Watched Bat earlier this evening, quite a lot of fun.

Mr. Loaf was interviewed extensively, of course, and unlike most washed-up rock stars he looks mahvelous; he's lost most of his weight, has a neat trim haircut, and looks like the sportscaster on your local TV station. While commenting on various portions of songs he'd run the faders on the master tape (as they do in this series) and had the bad habit of lowering the original lead voc track and singing live instead; great that he still has his pipes but I'd rather hear his thoughts some 30+ years later.

I never saw them live, but Stereo Review mag always gave the latest gossip about them, and I fell in love, er, heat, with one of the female singers, Ellen Foley. The DVD showed a brief photo of her back then, and then interviewed her today, but unfortunately no concert footage of her (learned later in the story that she'd done all the vocals on the album, but Karla De Vito did all the live shows because of her theatrical presence).

Todd Rundgren did the producing, actually paying for the entire recording himself as the labels were definitely NOT interested, in fact the completed album was without distribution for over a year! One thing Todd mentions that I completely disagree with: he thought the vocals in Two out of Three Ain't Bad sounded just like the Eagles; sorry, but the Eagles use absolutely NO vibrato in their backgrounds, and Bat is drenched in them. ;)

Great fun; I love this series of DVDs. Others I've enjoyed include Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life, and Steely Dan's Aja. :thu:

• Members

Bat Out Of Hell and Dark Side Of The Moon are my favorites that I have.

I like the discussion in Bat where Jim Steinman keeps bugging Todd Rundgren about wanting the motorcycle and finally near the end of it all Todd picks up a guitar, turns a couple knobs and dials and the jaws drop as he adds the guitar motorcycle emulation/lead onto a track supposedly all in one improvised take.

Archived