Been looking at the SG Standards

evlttwin

• Members

...but I hate the baseball necks.

I felt the same way too a while back about SGs with fat necks, but now I know better after owning skinny neck and fat neck SGs. The SGs with fat necks sound significantly better and it's a unique raw and raging tone that you don't get with a Les Paul type of guitar. Fat neck SGs don't get the headstock snapped off so easy either.

• Members

the 61 reissue has a slimmer neck i think

This. Also, if you have the opportunity, I'd go out and play as many as you can. Gibson is NOT consistent when it comes to their neck shapes. I've played Standards that had necks that were almost unplayable they were so big, and I've played others that were very comfortable.

• Members

Not all Gibson SG necks are fat. But there's a limit to how thin and slender they get. It seems to me that the 60's slim taper is as small as they get and I like that profile. I too am not into the 2x4 necks you find on the SG Specials from the mid 60's or LP Jr. DC's from the late 50's.

But there is something about the extra tone from a fat neck.

If that fat neck is adorned with Custom appointments, that neck feels a whole lot better to me. Ebony fretboard, binding, big block fretboard inlays,...ya know? But on a plain Jane fat 50's neck with nothing but the bare bones,... it leaves me uninspired.

I've got small hands and am happy on a Rickenbacker too if you get my drift.

• Members

I love my SG Standards neck profile. Its nice n rounded but no baseball bat. What some people seem to think is a baseball bat is really a far cry from what actually is a fat neck.

But I do wonder now if Gibson as mentioned above are not as consistent with their necks as I once thought. Reason - I own a LP Standard with 50's neck, and the SG Standard that I read once on the Gibson website that it has a rounded 50's profile. Now the SG I own isnt the same as the LP Standards neck that I own. And although my SG feels like all the other SG Standards I've played, I recently bought a new AC30 and in the store the guy handed me a LP Traditional that is said to have the 50's neck profile - well it was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT - noticably fatter than my 50's neck on my LP Standard!! So I now have played 2 LP's with a so called 50's neck and they were definately different buy quite a bit!! Odd considering I always thought they were done on CNC machines that have precision accuracy and consistency.:idk:

• Members

my brothers standard is great and he has small hands

if ur not used to a bigger neck, just play for a month, u'll get used to it

watch some old angus young videos. his sg looks like its about 4 times as big as him ^_^

it's all good

Archived