All locking tremolos should be recessed. Disagree if you dare.

poolshark

• Members

I held a Peavey Wolfgang for the first time the other day, and it was exceptionally cool EXCEPT for the surface-mounted Floyd. The ability to increase pitch makes a tremolo much more fluid-sounding on shakes and warbles, and the surface mount trem just ruined the otherwise-cool guitar for me. I mean, some minor routing isn't going to significantly affect your tone, and the benefits easily outweigh the cost; why the hell wouldn't you want to increase pitch, too?

/rant

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Wolfgang was designed by Eddie for use with the D-tuna, hence the non-floating bridge. Being able to go from standard to drop D with the twist of a knob > then floating for some applications. I love mine, but still looking for a full floating Floyd to add to my stable.

• Members

The Wolfgang was designed by Eddie for use with the D-tuna, hence the non-floating bridge. Being able to go from standard to drop D with the twist of a knob > then floating for some applications. I love mine, but still looking for a full floating Floyd to add to my stable.

Ah, so that's why. Alright, maybe that's understandable. I'd really like to get my hands on one with a dedicated floater, though.

• Members

And if you tend to do less subtle and more over the top trem stuff, if it's not recessed, you can throw on a little extra tension on the spring side so your tuning doesn't go completely ape{censored} if you break a string.

AND... you probably get a little chunkier tone with the trem resting on the body rather than floating.

:idk:

• Members

Floating trems are great unless you're playing live and break a string mid-song...

And most of the 'stabilizers' out there are completely worthless when this happens, I've tried them all (all that I know of anyway).

• Members

ever considered carve tops that dont need to recess them?

NO I BET YOU DIDNT DID YOU? DID YOU? YEAH YOU PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT

My Carvin CT has a carved top, and a Floyd, and it is recessed.. I wouldn't have it any other way..

• Members

My Carvin CT has a carved top, and a Floyd, and it is recessed.. I wouldn't have it any other way..

Its more of a plateau top than a normal carve top though isnt it?

With the bridge placed right on the highest point of the body... but with relatively straight neck angle...

I was thinking more of a les paul, where the wood under the bridge drops WAY down.

• Members

There are all kinds of non-recessed trems that have the ability to increase pitch.

Thanks.

I suppose no one here was around when the Floyd first hit the market. They were installed on Strats with no recess and could pull up a 5th. I installed my first one in 1982. No recess. You could pull up until the strings snapped. The bridge sits 1/4" off the body and the neck gets a tiny shim. Action is perfect. Floyd floats and pull up a mile.

Brad Gillis was one of the first to have one. Listen to the first Night Ranger album and hear how far he pulled up. No recess.

The recess came along much, much later.

The non recessed Floyd on my Strat will pull up much higher than the recessed one on my LP.

[YOUTUBE]iOjBZgSqyVE[/YOUTUBE]

Watch at 1:09

[YOUTUBE]SR44JDTUgR0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

pete, I was around. Thanks for reminding me I'm getting older. I had a Charvelle (which I really regret getting rid of) that didn't have a floating trem but I used the crap out of that Floyd.

All my Strats have the bridge flush because I just don't use the trems. I have two Ibanez RGs (370DX and 420CM) with the Edge III and a S620EX1 with the ZR. All are recessed. I like it much better.

I'll also go out on a limb and say the ZR trem is probably the best floating trem I have ever used.

• Members

When I had a Floyd put in my strat back in 84, recessing was not even a consideration. Now after a bazillion years playing that way, I like it setup to dive-only. I can pull it up but I have four springs in there as I really like the bar to fight as I push it down - and I am a heavy palm muter and the full floating bridges go out of tune a mite for me during heavy muting.

• Members

Better still: don't use them at all. These are superior:

GL%20Asat%20Bigsby.jpg

Tried today.

It failed miserably, couldnt even drive bomb, let alone to half the things I need it to do.

So yeah, you may say user error, you may edit my post but all in all, Bigsby's are still useless to me.

And yes, I AM a sissy.

How are they superior if they dont do what I want them to do, they are mechanically unable to do so.

• Members

Tried today.

It failed miserably, couldnt even drive bomb, let alone to half the things I need it to do.

So yeah, you may say user error, you may edit my post but all in all, Bigsby's are still useless to me.

And yes, I AM a sissy.

How are they superior if they dont do what I want them to do, they are mechanically unable to do so.

Dive bombs are an abominable remnant of the 80s. Any tasteful use of mechanical vibrato is best accomplished with a Bigsby, King of Vibratos.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I thought that this was going to be some stupid thread, but I kind of agree with the idea that a FR needs to be fully floating to be most effective if that's what you mean. I've got an Axis that is dive only and it's the only thing that makes it not the perfect guitar IMHO. I suppose that loosening the tension on the springs and letting it raise up a bit may give me some play, but I just went ahead and bought another guitar that's full floating. I went ahead and put a d-tuna on the Axis and that would be useless without it being dive only.

I mean diving is fun, but if I can't get some cheap vibrato from the wang bar it just seems less useful.

Archived