maintenance questions.

5Ronins

• Members

Alright guitars get dusty and suffer from general use.

so i've taken murphy's oil soap to my guit's and polished them up nice, but what do people recomend aside from sanding for dents and dings?

Should my fret board get special treatment?

I just want to know what guit's need for care besides not dropping them.

Same questions for strings, i cannot stand seeing my strings get dirty how do i clean them aside from changing them?

• Members

Strings are something that varies depending on a person's chemistry. I can play a set of strings for a year and they never get funky even if I don't wipe it down. My son touches a guitar for 2 minutes and the strings are shot.

I found that using Dunlop Formula 65 string treatment whenever new strings are put on makes them last a heck of a lot longer for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he wiped down the guitar after each use and reapply some of it every so often that they'd last even longer.

For the body I just use the good old cheap Gibson polish on the body. For the fretboard I've used Dr Stringfellow's Lemon Oil, but I've heard a lot of mixed comments about using lemon oil and if it isnt anything more than lemon scented mineral oil. The best thing I've ever heard of for fretboards is bore oil.

• Members

yup i guess the next times the strings come down it's time to take the jeweler's files to the fret's and olive oil the fret board after i murphy's oil soap it and maybe wax it after,

thanks for the link kulardenu , i'm going to get the string cleaner and stay on top of it

• Members

Fret filing is best left to someone who knows about leveling and crowning. If your frets need it that's one thing. Just going at them with a file is stoopid.
I got a 3 pak of gibson guitar maintenance stuff that has a good fretboard cleaner/conditioner. If you have a maple or other fretboard with a finish on it I'd just use what ever you use on the body. Lemon Pledge works just fine IMO.

• Members

yup i guess the next times the strings come down it's time to take the jeweler's files to the fret's and olive oil the fret board after i murphy's oil soap it and maybe wax it after,

bwahahahahaha - I saw what you did there!

But seriously, in bad cases you can wipe strings with alcohol (medical not drinking.) to get grease off but FastFret is pretty good for regular use. I mineral oil my fretboards with Johnsons Baby a couple of times a year.....no need to pay for lemon additives.

Body - naptha (lighter fuel) wipe down from time to time to get the sweat off.

Archived