diameter for epi les paul tuner holes?

airbags

• Members

hi, all;

just got a '98 epi les paul studio, and was wondering if anyone knew what the diamter was for the tuner holes? i need to replace two of the machine heads, and i fear it may turn into having to replace all six, and widening four of them to fit.

here are pics of the exact same model, just not the same guitar.

98epilpstudiosydney001.jpg

98epilpstudiosydney004.jpg

98epilpstudiosydney006.jpg

thanks!

• Members

to be perfectly honest, it's all cosmetic in nature. i've had the guitar two days, and the previous owner before the previous owner (i suspect i'm owner #3) replaced two of the heads. the pictures below are of my actual guitar.

lpmachineheads001.jpg

lpmachineheads002.jpg

i visited a shop tuesday afternoon to inquire if they had any black machine heads. i got a negative on that one, and after a cursory glance, one of the shop dudes had advised me that the middle two heads were a wider diameter than the original four. he suggested that the entire set be replaced, and that the other four black heads were not only sub-standard compared to the gibson vintage pearloid heads, but that the gibson vintage heads had a larger diameter, and the other four holes would have to be widened as opposed to having the two holes filled.

just thought i'd find out as much as i can before i take it to shop to get looked at... a different shop ^_^

again, it's totally a cosmetic thing. i'm quite a fan of the black.

• Members

to be perfectly honest, it's all cosmetic in nature. i've had the guitar two days, and the previous owner before the previous owner (i suspect i'm owner #3) replaced two of the heads. the pictures below are of my actual guitar.

lpmachineheads001.jpg

lpmachineheads002.jpg

i visited a shop tuesday afternoon to inquire if they had any black machine heads. i got a negative on that one, and after a cursory glance, one of the shop dudes had advised me that the middle two heads were a wider diameter than the original four. he suggested that the entire set be replaced, and that the other four black heads were not only sub-standard compared to the gibson vintage pearloid heads, but that the gibson vintage heads had a larger diameter, and the other four holes would have to be widened as opposed to having the two holes filled.

just thought i'd find out as much as i can before i take it to shop to get looked at... a different shop ^_^

again, it's totally a cosmetic thing. i'm quite a fan of the black.

If the two middle holes were reamed for 10mm to accomodate the modern screw in bushings, you can get the vintage adapter bushings for the Kluson style. Or you can ream the other 4 holes so you can get a matching set in there...:freak:

• Members

It's kind of confusing... with 6 inline tuners, usually if there's a nut on the top of the headstock, they are 10mm holes. If they are pressed fit, they are 5/16" holes.

With 3+3 tuners, the larger holes are 10mm and the smaller Kluson types are called 9mm. I've always put Grovers on 3+3 guitars which require the 10mm hole.

There are two different sizes of conversion bushings which should allow for any type of Kluson-ish tuner to fit in a 10mm hole.

• Members

Yes, as mentioned previously, those two middle holes will have been widened to 10mm. The other 4 are most likely 9mm (or whatever the imperial equivalent of that is).

Your easiest fix is to get Kluson-style tuners and conversion bushings (the ones from Guitar Fetish should work fine and they're pretty cheap). Obviously you'll only need two of the conversion bushings.

BUT... I'm not sure where you're going to get 2 black Kluson-style keystone tuners from and I've never seen black conversion bushings (that's not to say they don't exist), so good luck with your search.

• Members

Yup... just get six matching tuners with the 10mm hole.

That's a sweet looking guitar. I almost always dig transparent black finishes. :thu:

My only Epi is an older Korean Studio with dots instead of trapezoids. Not to rip on Gibson because I am not a Gibson hater, but I've played a lot of new Gibsons over the last 10 years that don't feel as good as my Epi.

DSC_3239a1.jpg

• Members

Yes, as mentioned previously, those two middle holes will have been widened to 10mm. The other 4 are most likely 9mm (or whatever the imperial equivalent of that is).

Your easiest fix is to get Kluson-style tuners and conversion bushings (the ones from Guitar Fetish should work fine and they're pretty cheap). Obviously you'll only need two of the conversion bushings.

BUT... I'm not sure where you're going to get 2 black Kluson-style keystone tuners from and I've never seen black conversion bushings (that's not to say they don't exist), so good luck with your search.

it looks like guitar fetish has the black conversion bushings, and wilkinson makes all-black vintage style machine heads that are all over ebay.

i've learned a lot over the last few days, just reading and reading and reading... and while the easiet fix is to order the conversion bushings and two new black machine heads, i'm also considering enlarging the other four holes and installing grover-style tuners. they may not have the same button shape, but the alloy seems like it'll last longer than the urethane.

decisions, decisions... suggestions?

• Members

Suggestions? Well, if you're going to go for the Grovers, then make sure you get ones with the screw hole in-line rather than offset. I believe they will sit nicely in one of the screwholes already there, or at the very least hide one of the holes.

In-line:

Rotomatic18-1.jpg

Offset:

305BC.gif

Archived