More E bay B.S

Invader.CC

• Members

I 100% agree with that statement.

if a bidder is held to buying a product, a buyer should be held to selling it.

They are once the auction has ended. If the auction hasn't ended and seller wants to end it early, that is their right to do so according to eBay's rules.

• Members

100% agreement. ending a auction because you dont like how the bidding is going is a bitch move. just as much as welching on a bet that didnt go your way.

Bull{censored}. When you list something you have ample time to research the potential sale value of the item, you have every chance to think about a reserve or to list without it, come up with shipping terms, etc.

The only reason an auction should be canceled is if the item is lost or stolen, becomes damaged, or is sold locally - and you plainly stated you reserve the right to cancel because it was for sale locally as well.

If you expect a bidder to honor a bid you had better be prepared to live up to the terms you have set.

• Members

Does it not state in the Ebay rules that an auction cannot be ended early once it has less than 12 hours left to run? It definitely USED to say that in the seller's rules, and I'm pretty sure it's still there....

it still says that, when there is less that 12 hrs left you cannot end an auction so the OP is wrong when he said it ended with 4hrs left.

I have ended auctions early only because the item sold locally and it was clearly listed on the listing that it was for sale locally and I reserved the right to end the item early, completely within ebay policy.

as far as Ebays "binding contract" {censored} them, bidders that don't pay have no consequences and it a pain to get fees back. You can't even leave deadbeat bidders negative feedback anymore..............

• Members

As a seller I should be able to cancel if I want. What, I should let myself get hosed? It's not the same as shill bidding. That's simply not right. Cancelling an auction that isn't going well isn't anything to be ashamed of. Grow up.

that's a pathetic view.

• Members

You guys are ridiculous, and the point about a seller setting up his auction differently ahead of time is moot. None of you would sit back and eat a cheap sale in that position, you would take steps to get what you think your item is worth.

Why is that moot? How is it now inconsequential? Or did someone hold a gun to the seller's head and tell them to list without research?

I have ended one auction on a guitar and that was because I had a five year old nephew knock it off the stand and break the headstock (no, it wasn't a Gibson). I have sold guitars for less than what I thought they should sell for.

Here's a small piece of wisdom. The value of a thing is determined by what people are prepared to pay for it.

Also, dealing on the up and up and not being a gigantic cock appeals to me even though you seem to have an aversion to it.

• Members

BS like that is one of the reasons I rarely venture to EBAY anymore-used to do it quite a bit- last time I was hosed like that it was by an HC'er who then "relisted" on here saying it didn't sell- Its not like I truly needed it, but that was obnoxious.

• Members

Why is that moot? How is it now inconsequential? Or did someone hold a gun to the seller's head and tell them to list without research?

I have ended one auction on a guitar and that was because I had a five year old nephew knock it off the stand and break the headstock (no, it wasn't a Gibson). I have sold guitars for less than what I thought they should sell for.

Here's a small piece of wisdom. The value of a thing is determined by what people are prepared to pay for it.

Also, dealing on the up and up and not being a gigantic cock appeals to me even though you seem to have an aversion to it.

The point is moot because there's no deal here. No buyer got screwed, no one received something that wasn't what they paid for, the only complaint is someone didn't get a good deal on an item. They aren't even out any money because the didn't buy it.

The selling price of an item certainly is determined by what someone will pay, so what? The seller didn't want to sell for that amount and would rather try to get more and is taking the chance it doesn't sell at all. He's only boning himself at that point.

Let me reiterate a key point, there is no deal here. No money changed hands, there is no deal. So your aversion to dealing with a gigantic cock is fine, once you have a deal in place. I'm on board with "bust a deal, face the wheel", you need a deal first.

• Members

The point is moot because there's no deal here. No buyer got screwed, no one received something that wasn't what they paid for, the only complaint is someone didn't get a good deal on an item. They aren't even out any money because the didn't buy it.

The selling price of an item certainly is determined by what someone will pay, so what? The seller didn't want to sell for that amount and would rather try to get more and is taking the chance it doesn't sell at all. He's only boning himself at that point.

Let me reiterate a key point, there is no deal here. No money changed hands, there is no deal. So your aversion to dealing with a gigantic cock is fine, once you have a deal in place. I'm on board with "bust a deal, face the wheel", you need a deal first.

Of course there's no deal - the seller was a prick and took it down and relisted it because they were pouty about how it was going.

• Members

Of course there's no deal - the seller was a prick and took it down and relisted it because they were pouty about how it was going.

Which is perfectly within his right to do so. Probably wasn't the smartest move since a lot of bidding takes place in the last 30 seconds, but if it is within the rules, I see no problem with what happened. As some of us have pointed out several times, until the auction has ended, the item still belongs to the seller and they can do whatever they want as long as it is within the rules.

I can't believe how many people have a problem with this. I've bought and sold on eBay off and on since 1997, and this is nothing out of the ordinary...

• Members

Which is perfectly within his right to do so. Probably wasn't the smartest move since a lot of bidding takes place in the last 30 seconds, but if it is within the rules, I see no problem with what happened. As some of us have pointed out several times, until the auction has ended, the item still belongs to the seller and they can do whatever they want as long as it is within the rules.

I can't believe how many people have a problem with this. I've bought and sold on eBay off and on since 1997, and this is nothing out of the ordinary...

I'm not saying it wasn't within the rules, I'm saying it was a bitch move.

• Members

I'm not saying it wasn't within the rules, I'm saying it was a bitch move.

Nah, a bitch move is when a seller tells you AFTER you won a no reserve auction that they 'forgot' to put in the reserve and they can't possibly sell it to you for the winning bid. However, if you'd like to pay a few hundred more, they'll be glad to let you have it.

That has happened to me no less than 4 times over the years.

On the other hand, I've been high bidder on several auctions where the reserve wasn't met and the sellers let me have it for my high bid.

There's all kinds out there on eBay, just like in the real world... If someone wants to cancel their auction early and waste money relisting it, there's nothing you can do about it.

• Members

Nah, a bitch move is when a seller tells you AFTER you won a no reserve auction that they 'forgot' to put in the reserve and they can't possibly sell it to you for the winning bid. However, if you'd like to pay a few hundred more, they'll be glad to let you have it.

That has happened to me no less than 4 times over the years.

You did post negative feedback on those guys didn't you?

You certainly can once you win the auction. And the seller has to eat it...because he can't retaliate.

• Members

I agree with Bro Blue's statement about sellers having ample time to do needed research. You can even do it right at the Ebay site by looking at what similar items have been going for. No excuse in that area. But when someone does end an auction early only to relist with a reserve, that's just plain chicken{censored}. Not much can be done about it, however.

Archived