Cleaning "sticker gunk"

kujozilla

• Members

I have an old Kay Truetone I picked up for $25. It came with blue masking tape all over the pickgaurd. I have managed to remove the tape. My question now is how do I remove the gunk left by the glue on the aforementioned tape?

On a similar note how can I clean a guitar this old to make it look better?

What it should look like.

truetone1964kayk10090lbkd9.jpg

• Members

I usually start with naphtha and move to more aggressive options from there. Peanut butter (or similar oily nut spread) will work but depending on the adhesive, you might have to let it sit for a while....I'd rather just make a PBJ with my peanut butter ;)

As far as cleaning it up in general, what finish is on the guitar and how bad is it? This is another area I like to start off mild and work up to strong depending on the finish. You can always test what you're going to use in a small area that will be hidden by the PG to see how the finish reacts.

• Members

As for cleaning the guitar I recommend removing the p/g and experimenting on the finish under it. If you fook that up nobody will see once the p/g goes back on. If you take the guitar all the way apart you can get it detail clean way easier.

• Members

I have done this dozens of times,
lighter fluid is the best.
Will work on nitro finishes, just wipe it off, then clean it with a good guitar cleaner.
Naptha will harm your finish.
Mineral oils, and similar products I would never use.

What?? Lighter fluid *is* made of Naptha...

See image:

lighterfuel2.jpg

• Members

... I've already tried goo gone... also tried lighter fluid... If I can get this clean I'll post pics but right now this guitar needs the TLC. So I am guessing to clean the wood you guys are saying some sort of oil or what?

• Members

So the goo is just on the pickguard? Remove the pickguard, clean with WD-40/naptha/goo gone, wipe down, reinstall pickguard. Then it doesn't matter if your finish is nitro.

^^^This^^^ Do not most of y'all not actually read entire posts ??? .... The OP stated it was on the pickguard - guitar finish is irrelevant unless one is too lazy to remove said guard and/or too sloppy with said removal agents. Heck, Simple Green would probably work..... tape residue on a plastic guard is nothing, in the scheme of things

• Members

.... The OP stated it was on the pickguard - guitar finish is irrelevant unless one is too lazy to remove said guard and/or too sloppy with said removal agents. Heck, Simple Green would probably work..... tape residue on a plastic guard is nothing, in the scheme of things

smart

Archived